Thread: Lower Susitna water levels

Default Lower Susitna water levels

The lower Susitna is extremely low but doable. The west channel going into Five fingers and then onto Alexander creek is completely dry. You will have to go the long way around and into Dynamite slough below the intetie lines. The only water from dynamite and four miles up to the creek is the creek, so it is shallow enough that you should lighten up your boats. Going the long way requires quite a bit more gas and due to no snow this winter there is no extra gas to be sold on the creek. And if you make it I could use some rum! LOL.

Big su is low at deshka also. Deshka mouth is very low, lots of sandbars and skinny water.
    Bk

Roger that on the rum, never been to or up alexander but am making it a point this year

Landed on a gravel bar just upstream from Yentna Station tonight. I don't have a lot of experience for a frame of reference, but the water sure seemed low to me. LOTS of room on the gravel bar for landing a plane.

DanielApplin, If you make it down to the creek we are the first home on the left about 3/4 mile from the mouth. Can't miss it, Sunshine yellow. Stop by!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Landed on a gravel bar just upstream from Yentna Station tonight. I don't have a lot of experience for a frame of reference, but the water sure seemed low to me. LOTS of room on the gravel bar for landing a plane.

Check out Alexander Creek Brian, lower Susitna to the Inlet has all kinds of sandbar fun. Have a sandbar in front of the house 3/4 mile from the mouth with a windsock. It,s only about 600 feet but good north south approach. Totally doable for any cub.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    Check out Alexander Creek Brian, lower Susitna to the Inlet has all kinds of sandbar fun. Have a sandbar in front of the house 3/4 mile from the mouth with a windsock. It,s only about 600 feet but good north south approach. Totally doable for any cub.
    Excellent! Does yours stay dry when things warm up, or is it mostly a spring/fall strip?

Mostly Spring and fall but with no snow pack it will stick around for awhile. The sand bars on the Susitna behind the house are big enough for a 747!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Excellent! Does yours stay dry when things warm up, or is it mostly a spring/fall strip?