Thread: YM611 or YM541 ???

Question YM611 or YM541 ???

ADF&G made a mistake with one of my daughter's draw tags, so, they've offered her a choice of one of the following Youth Hunts:

YM611 / Aug 5-14 / Cow tag
    located in a small section of the Minto Flats State Game Refuge: bordered by the Tanana River, the Dunbar - Old Minto Trail, and the Parks Highway.

or

YM541 / Aug 20 - Sep 25 and Nov 15 - Dec 15 / Any Bull tag
    All of GMU 16B, and the Youth Hunters get exclusive use of the part of 16B north of the Skwentna River.

Which tag should she choose?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Boy, that winter any bull tag sure would look tempting to me. That said, what are your means of access? Do you have a river boat capable of running the Yentna? Snowmachines for winter access? I don't know the area up in the Minto Flats, so that might be a gem as well. My nephew had a cow tag just south of Fairbanks two years ago, and it was a dud. Really heavily forested timber covered the entire unit, and in 6 days of hunting we saw a single cow with a calf. There were moose around, but it was very difficult to spot them.

Thanx Brian!

Yes, I have access to the Yentna via a 20' jet-boat for the Aug-Sep portion of YM541. That was also my plan of attack for YM611 along the Tanana.
    If unsuccessful during the early season, I was hoping to use the Nov-Dec portion of YM541 as an excuse to buy a Bearcat or Skandic this year.

Thanx, Dave.

PS - As luck would have it, I have another daughter who also drew YM541.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

9 days to hunt the minto permit or.....................2 months to hunt unit 16, which is closer to where you live. Isn't the answer obvious?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Huh, maybe ADFG made a mistake by not giving me any tags this year... I want a re-do!