Thread: canoe keel repair

Default canoe keel repair

OK, this is a subject that gets lots of attention here on the site.
    95% of repairs to our canoes concern the Keel area.
    the other 5% are seats, yokes, endcaps, gunnels..
    We have talked in length about trying to repair Coleman or Pelcian polyethylene materials with varied results. The following repairs we made this season to our Fiberglass and Royalex boats has so far worked the best ever.
    we did NOT try this repair on any Coleman or Pelican boats.
    A neighbor here in Sterling owns a business that sprays truck bed liners. The common name for this is Rino lining.
    I had 13 canoes that I picked out of the fleet of 30 some odd boats. they were in good shape, but showed wear on the keel lines in the leading edges where they run up on shore.
    We took the canoes over to Tony's shop and prepared them for the spray by taping off the area we wanted to build up with the two part rino material. we scuffed the fiberglass and royalex with scotch bright pads and then wiped them off with a light dose of MEK cleaner.
    Tony then removed our tape job and put his special tape on. this special tape has a very strong and very small piece of string in it, similar to dental floss size. he covered the canoe with a cut out paper so we had no over spray where we didn't want it, and he sprayed each canoe keel line with the rino hide material. the Spray comes out very hot. 185 degrees or hotter, and sets up almost immediatly. that ment he had to quickly pull that cutting string in the tape as soon as he was done with each canoe.
    this made a perfect line. One canoe at a time. It took about 4 hours to tape, and spray the 13 canoes.
    This was a gamble on our part as to whether this would work.
    We were not sure if the rino material would adhere to the glass and Royalex.. but we decided to take the gamble and see if if would work.
    The canoes came out of the event looking great, and about 1 to 2 lbs heavier depending on how wide and deep the material was put on.
    I would guess it is between 1/8 to 1/4 inch average, and is a very smooth and shinny finish.
    I was concerned at first that the finish would end up like the marble effect in a truck bed, but Tony assured me that he could spray it as smooth as glass... and he did..
    We did these canoes in first week of May, and now over a month later and several trips already in the canoe trail system and also down both the Moose river and the Swanson river, they show no wear at all..
    that material is really tough and flexible, and has adhered to the materials perfectly so far.
    This was not a cheap fix, as we paid $1,600.00 to do the 13 canoes.
    If you buy a kevlar keel repair kit, you will pay between $65 and $85 per boat.
    I have used the kevlar keel kits and guess what... they last about one season maybe... at least on Rental boats..lol
    They will last much longer on your own canoe, as you won't beat your own boat up as much as a rental.
    We have decided to do all of our boats with the Rino hide keel protectors in the future. All of our new canoes will get the treatment before entering the water for the first time.
    It will cost about $110.00 per canoe, but it looks like It will give us an extra year or more life.
    We will keep you posted as to how they hold up from a full season of Scout abuse and swanson river rocks etc.
    I will post some pictures when I find where I put them..
    lol
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Question How are the rino-lined canoes holding up?

I have a 1982 manufacture EasyRider 17 ft. Royalex canoe with heavy keel wear, but want to get a few more years out of it, or more. It's a great canoe for the tight upper reaches of the Chena and Chatanika up here: doesn't track worth a darn, but with a lot of rocker, it's fast in the turns and handles the few little rapids to be found well. Went to a shop in FBKS today and looked at a process similar but "better" than Rino-lining, but they would not coat just the keel areas, but wanted to do the whole bottom of the boat. They weren't sure how the stuff would hold on the Royalex and told me it would add half again the boats weight. In addition, they quoted me $250. Whew! They showed me an example of the rino-liner. He took the Rino-liner material and rubbed it to pieces on the other material. The rino liner is more flexible, but softer. How is the rino-lining holding up? Anyone know if anyone rino-lines in Fairbanks? Any previous threads? What do the manufacturers say? Thanks.

duck tape?
    Semper Fi!

Default Keel Repair W/bedliner

OK, I found the pictures I took when I tested this method of Canoe Keel repair on some of my Rental canoes. After three seasons in the rental fleet, I had absolutely no failures, the keels were protected beyond my expectations.
    here is what we did. First we prep the canoes with sandpaper to provide a scuffed surface for the material to attach too, then we wipe it down with Acetone or MEK to clean any oils or scum from the area we are to apply the material.
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 12-11-2008 at 00:26.

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Keel Repair

After we sanded and cleaned the area with Acetone, we applied a special tape that has a nylon string in the tape.
    When the bedliner is sprayed on the canoe, it goes on at about 180 degrees or more. It is a two part chemical that is mixed right in the spray gun. It dries in just seconds, so you have to be quick and as soon as the spray in applied, you need to pull the thread in the tape up so it cuts a perfect edge in the bedliner material before it sets up. this way you have a great looking edge with no over spray.

Default a bunch of canoes

It took us a few hours to prep all these canoes and tape them off. also we had to use painters paper to keep the overspray off the canoes.
    The next day we sprayed the canoes with the material. this only took an hour or so to spray and pull the nylon string tape to keep that sharp looking edge on the keel lines.
    We did different width's of spray on the canoes depending on the design of the canoes keel. The weight of the material added about 1 lb to each canoe. Notice how shinny the material is...
    The reason it is shinny is because when we sprayed the material on, we did it with the gun very close to the canoe. The reason a truck bed liner has that rough look and feel is because they shoot the material from a distance from the bed they are spraying, and as the mixed chemicals fly thru the atmosphere several inch's it begins to turn into small balls and as it strikes the surface it is intended for, it splatters and makes for that rough texture that you see in bedliners. this is what people want in a bedliner so it is non skid. We of course wanted smooth surface for the canoes so we sprayed it more like you would paint, up close...
    It worked great for us in the rental business, and we will be doing several more canoes this spring in May. If any of you are interested in getting your canoe or kayak done with this material you are more than welcome to bring your canoe to my place and get it ready. then when we have them all prepared we can have them all sprayed in one session.
    The cost last time I did it was about $110.00 per boat. ... I know that sounds expensive, but he charges just for the material...
    It was for us a real big savings, as we were able to get a couple of more seasons out of canoes that we would have had to sell due to the wear on the keel lines...
    I Really think that a personel use canoe would last a lifetime with this material sprayed on. ( At least the Keels would not ever be a problem)
    people usually treat their own equipment a little better than rental gear..
    Yet as I stated before..... The keels remain in perfect condition on all of the boats we sprayed this material on... and thats after several dozens of trips per canoe ...
    907-262-2331

Default Doubting thomas

One day last year, a fellow stopped by our place to look at our canoes.
    I was not home, but my wife was..
    The fellow ( age about 55 yrs ) noticed some of the canoes with the spray on liner on the keel lines of the canoes..
    he asked what it was,, and my wife told him..
    He looked it over and said,,
    "you guys are going to be sorry you did this..it is a huge mistake".
    My wife asked him why he thought that?
    "it won't Hold up" ,,he said.." Its going to fall off and then your canoes will be runied,, A huge huge mistake" He said..
    Well... this fellow made one mistake himself.. when he said this to my wife... She is not easily intimidated and told this fellow that the canoes have had the product on them for a few years and hundreds of trips with no failures,, and he should keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have the facts.....
    He kinda bowed up when this little 110 lb women came back at him...
    So he started to attempt to "talk down" to her.. This was a very. bad bad mistake with this lady.........
    anyway... he left.. and I am sure he won't be back after my Annette let him have it.......She is less diplomatic than me when people question what we do.... lol..
    Anyway.. I love my wife and her vigor....
    Like I said,, if any of you want to have your boat done this spring, just call and give us your phone number and we will call you a week or more in advance before we have our canoes done this season.. giving you enough time to get your boat here and ready..
    After he sprays the boats he will give me one total bill from the cost of the material he sprayed and we can divide that by the total number of boats sprayed...
    and ,, Don't be affraid of my wife..she is a lovely lady...
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 12-11-2008 at 00:42.