Thread: Black Bear Hunting (not during spring)

Default Black Bear Hunting (not during spring)

I'm looking to get any advice on hunting black bears on the KP. If hunting before the berries are out (or right when they're starting to sweeten) can you hunt them along the salmon streams? Are you hunting along hiking trails or off the road system? Once the berries are beginning to sweeten in August do you target the alpine areas? PMs may be the better choice if you would rather discuss it that way. I don't want to start a debate about fur quality/size of bears taken/etc. I would just like to get some input from anyone who has any to offer.

Thank you.

TTT anybody willing to give some advice?

There is lots of info on this site for exactly what you are asking. Do a search and you will get lots of info. Best advice I can give is to get above the trees and glass. They're there you just have to spot them.

If you're talking Aug. there are still bears down low because there are still fish in the rivers. When we think berry bears, we usually are thinking late fall, late Sept-Oct. That's when you look for them up high. And believe me they are up high. The last bear I killed in late Oct. I watched another one follow a goat up and over the top....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you're talking Aug. there are still bears down low because there are still fish in the rivers. When we think berry bears, we usually are thinking late fall, late Sept-Oct. That's when you look for them up high. And believe me they are up high. The last bear I killed in late Oct. I watched another one follow a goat up and over the top....
    Thanks, is it realistic to target them along the streams down low this time of year or should I still try to be looking up high for the bears that are just starting to seek out the berries?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    It sometimes amazes me when you're looking at goats and sheep and look farther up the mountain to find your bears.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfishtrap247 View Post
    Thanks, is it realistic to target them along the streams down low this time of year or should I still try to be looking up high for the bears that are just starting to seek out the berries?
    If it was me I would look up high, mainly because it's easier to spot one than it is down in the thick stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    It sometimes amazes me when you're looking at goats and sheep and look farther up the mountain to find your bears.
    And, believe it or not that bear that I saw follow the goat had a bad leg. I've had black bears spook sheep I was glassing on the opener. They do like it up there....

A lot of years ago I watched 4 brown bears surround and hunt sheep. Unfortunately they didn't get one because it would have been cool to see but these bears worked as a team and I don't think people could have organized their plan of attack any better.

I'll second what 4merguide said, it's better to hunt high, a lot better chances of finding one up there.

Thanks for the input guys!