Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: black bears relocated and ...

Default black bears relocated and ...

If I had a million dollars.... LOL

http://www.adn.com/article/20150505/...hood-show-hope

I am sure they relocated them there because things are greener (I guess) than other 'remote' areas....
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

But new bears have showed up in Gov't Hill.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

My thinking is the sow will be kicking the cubs out shortly and tbey will eat at bait sites Dropping them in the refuge and that area was either not thought out or was planned intentionally. This way the bears are shot at baits. ADFG could have just as easily dropped them in pws where they have a concern for bears instead of a 3 bear limit area.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    My thinking is the sow will be kicking the cubs out shortly and tbey will eat at bait sites Dropping them in the refuge and that area was either not thought out or was planned intentionally. This way the bears are shot at baits. ADFG could have just as easily dropped them in pws where they have a concern for bears instead of a 3 bear limit area.

It does seem strange.... PWS would have been ideal. Knight Island or some other island.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Everyone knows that all bears dream of living in the greater Hope/Sunrise, Alaska area. Those cubs look like tasty snacks for a Brown Bear.

I am fairly sure that this was intentional. I don't think ADF&G liked being put into a position where their management was called into question by the Governor. It's would have been really hard to go against what the Gov called for (relocation) even though their policies dictated otherwise. By moving them here, within range of where they already know bears have had a history of traveling to/from, it was pretty much doomed to fail from the start. It looks on the surface like they made a good attempt to relocate them, but in reality, they are still so close to population centers and well within travel distance to Anchorage (they tracked bears years ago traveling on their own from Anchorage through Hope and further onto the Kenai Peninsula). They would either find their way back pretty quickly or get into trouble on the way, proving ADF&G right.

Now.......there is a comment you don't see often on this forum........even if I did remove it from it's original context....
    Note: This post intended as Sarcastic humor.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    proving ADF&G right.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Now.......there is a comment you don't see often on this forum........even if I did remove it from it's original context....
    Note: This post intended as Sarcastic humor.
    No worries. I agree that we don't see that kind of statement often and, honestly, I hesitated a moment in writing it figuring I would likely get some flack over it. Just to be clear, what I meant by them being right was their original decision that the best solution was to kill the bears instead of relocating them. Relocation of bears has proven ineffective all too often in the past, on top of very expensive and putting lots of people in potential danger in the process. This case specifically, those bears were a potential hazard to people in the area for something like a week or more longer because they had to try to trap them rather than just shoot them. Now, those bears could be a problem in another community or return to Anchorage and resume being a problem there.

All a big waste of money...

Did fish and game consider the effects of the tranquilizer on the meat? If one of those bears gets shot off a bait station I hope the hunter calls f and g before eating any meat.
    Taxidermy IS art!

I'm gonna feel for the person who shoots them down there, that's going to be Alaska headlines. "hunter kills relocated gov' hill bear"

Another example of F&G being disconnected from reality.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post
    Another example of F&G being disconnected from reality.
    F&G wanted to kill the bears while in Anchorage. The emotionally charged bunny huggers are the one's disconnected from reality.

Government hills archery season. Quick fix.

The Governor himself and the Tree Huggers should pay for it - not My tax money. Crap like this is just a hint of what is becoming wrong with this Country and its people.

So many people crying about the money side of it. First off this is Alaska, so you hardly pay anything in taxes. Second off this is the kind of thing that ADF&G should be doing. If they need a few extra dollars maybe they should go down to the russian during one of the runs and ticket all those idiots that are snagging at the end of their drift. I swear some of those people think they are going to hook into a shark.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Angl3r View Post
    So many people crying about the money side of it. First off this is Alaska, so you hardly pay anything in taxes. Second off this is the kind of thing that ADF&G should be doing. If they need a few extra dollars maybe they should go down to the russian during one of the runs and ticket all those idiots that are snagging at the end of their drift. I swear some of those people think they are going to hook into a shark.
    Whether or not we pay directly in taxes, it does not mean we should not care about wasting money. That money could go toward something that needs it rather than be wasted by doing something that won't work. ADF&G knows based on historical experience that relocating bears usually does not work. It almost always fails in one of a few different ways, they travel back to where they started (just like the bears that were killed last summer in Anchorage had since being relocated the previous year), they become problem bears in some other community and end up getting killed, or they die off due to other animals in their new habitat that don't like the newcomers. It is rare for relocation of bears to be successful. In a time when the State is looking at multi-billion dollar shortfalls in the budget, we don't need to go wasting 10's of thousands of dollars on something that we know has such low odds of success. ADF&G knew this, but the Governor and the "bunny huggers" stuck their noses in and made them do otherwise.

That is the most stupid thing I have read on here in a while. Are you a politician? Seems they don't mind being wasteful with public money and you think along the same lines.

we're only 3 billion dollars in the red, what's the problem?

Everybody is blaming ADF&G for the "bear-gate", but you've got to back up a little bit and remember who requested the bears not be put down but be re-located……….. That's right ADF&G's Boss's boss…. Politicians have no business messing in game management, but they always seem to think they do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast