Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best tent option for moose hunt.

Default Best tent option for moose hunt.

What tent would you guys recommend for my wife and I's upcoming moose hunt in sept. A couple of things: Fly in by super cub only allowed 55 lbs a piece and I have a back packing tent but it's kinda limited on space.

You guys have any tent recommendations or alternative shelters with a conservative weight?

I'd start by weighing all of your other gear to figure out a rough estimate of what you can afford for a tent weight-wise. Folks use everything from bivy sacks to wall tents, but your primary factor is likely to be weight. Realistically, backpacking tents are the norm with a super cub based hunt. What you might consider is bringing your current tent and then adding a teepee-type shelter like the GoLite Shangri-La 5 or 3. GoLite unfortunately went out of business last year, but you could find one on eBay if you look hard enough. Other companies like Kifaru make similar shelters as well. Having a separate teepee would give you a place to get out of the wind and rain while eating, etc. if the weather gets nasty. Make it your primary shelter if that's all you can manage with weight, or make it into a cook tent with your current tent your sleeping option if you can afford the weight. That's what my wife and I did in the Brooks, and it was a pretty sweet combination.

I would try really hard to make enough weight room to take something bigger than a 2 man backpacking tent on a fly out, they get real small after just a couple days of crap weather!

Like Brian said, you need to know how much weight you can spare, then go shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if you have the room an ultra light sil-nylon or cuben fiber rain tarp (say 10x10. Under 16oz) will give you a dry place outside the tent & make life MUCH nicer.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

As already mentioned go floorless with a light tipi tent. GoLite is out of business but you can find SL-5 tipi tents for sale on the used market and there are others like the Little Bug Out by Seek Outside. Also look at Kifaru.

And take a light tarp for a leento shelter for cooking, gear and meat. Maybe two.

Ultra light tarp is on the list of things to get. When you guys use floor less tents do you just put your sleeping pad on the bare ground?

Keep the small tent and just get a large tarp and cord. I did this same hunt last year with my wife and you would be amazed how much a big tarp spread over camp correctly will keep you happy. Good luck!

" Best tent option for moose"

Moose don't like to sleep in tents!

I typically use a sil-nylon ground fly under my pad to sleep on and put my clothing and pack. It helps some with the dirt etc. For me, 55 pounds is HARD to hit.

Not a problem…..Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT, get a Titanium Goat 12’’ cylinder stove and a Titanium Goat sew in stove boot, put the boot for the stove out in the vestibule area. Heat is a nice thing to have, plus it keeps the wife’s happy!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Grayson View Post
    Ultra light tarp is on the list of things to get. When you guys use floor less tents do you just put your sleeping pad on the bare ground?
    No, I use a Big Agnes air pad and a piece of tyvek or a bivy bag depending on when and wear I will be going.

The conundrum of Alaska: How can a place with large areas having a precipitation amount that qualifies it as a desert be such a swamp?

If you put your sleeping bag directly on the ground, in a few days it will be soaked through.

Are you flying or floating out? Take quite a few trips in a Cub to get a moose out.

We are flying in and out.

my vote would be tipi also. make sure you have bug nets

Yup, Tipi's work great too! our tipi on a koyukuk moose hunt!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Like mentioned, use a small backpack tent and bring a tarp. You only have to sleep in the tent if you have a dry place to be outside the tent. Picking your camp site is more important for being weather resistant. Consider wind direction and wind shelter. You don't have to have the whole tent under the tarp just the entrance to keep it dry. That gives you more room under the tarp.

This is a boat camp but is still fairly light for two guys, and very dry. Especially in the second pic once we started using a wall tarp also.Of course behind the wall tarp is the kitchen table and boot dryers etc. Disregard the firewood as you will not have a chainsaw.

I have done a lot of moose camps from a cub and always use the tent tarp combo. It is nice to have a place to cook, eat, BS, and hang stuff to dry when humidity permits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nooksack View Post
    Like mentioned, use a small backpack tent and bring a tarp. You only have to sleep in the tent if you have a dry place to be outside the tent. Picking your camp site is more important for being weather resistant. Consider wind direction and wind shelter. You don't have to have the whole tent under the tarp just the entrance to keep it dry. That gives you more room under the tarp.

This is a boat camp but is still fairly light for two guys, and very dry. Especially in the second pic once we started using a wall tarp also.Of course behind the wall tarp is the kitchen table and boot dryers etc. Disregard the firewood as you will not have a chainsaw.

I have done a lot of moose camps from a cub and always use the tent tarp combo. It is nice to have a place to cook, eat, BS, and hang stuff to dry when humidity permits.

Disregard everything else. Nice moose. That's where my eyes went first. Good looking camp setup.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Keep the small tent and just get a large tarp and cord. I did this same hunt last year with my wife and you would be amazed how much a big tarp spread over camp correctly will keep you happy. Good luck!
    X2..........

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Yup, Tipi's work great too! our tipi on a koyukuk moose hunt!
    Very nice....!!!............your camp too.......lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Also take a look at Bear Paw Wilderness Design, they make some very lightweight tents with lots of room.

Start saving your money now and buy an extra gear flight. I don't mind being minimalist on hunts for smaller critters, but for moose I cannot seem to get below that 55# limit. A gear load allows you to have a nice tent, camp chairs, and quite a few extra creature comforts.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast