Thread: Good generator for my 26' motorhome

Default Good generator for my 26' motorhome

Hello, fellow alaskans!!
    I purchased a 26' motorhome. It has the onan generator. It's needs to be worked on, but would a 2014 EU 2000 Honda Generator operate my heater, a/c, stove, refridgerator, ect. just fine???? Anyone ever have problems??
    Heard there quieter and run more efficient? Appreciate tips and wisdom?

Don't you have RV battery(s) to operate your stuff? The generator is for recharging or for running 120 volt stuff on occasion. (Like microwave).
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Yes. The battery gets charged up for the basic lights and stuff. I was told it lasts only for a few hours though. I was thinking about running the microwave, heater, and watching a movie on a tv when it's a rainy day. That would be mostly 120volt wouldn't it? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth getting a honda generator. I'be been by some they are quiet and easy to maintain. Also, a honda lasts forever

I would fix the Onan generator. You can start and turn it off from inside the motor home. You can't do that with a Honda. Look at the name plate to find out what size generator you need. I'm guesting it a 4kw.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing nut View Post
    Yes. The battery gets charged up for the basic lights and stuff. I was told it lasts only for a few hours though. I was thinking about running the microwave, heater, and watching a movie on a tv when it's a rainy day. That would be mostly 120volt wouldn't it? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth getting a honda generator. I'be been by some they are quiet and easy to maintain. Also, a honda lasts forever
    I have a 4kw Onan in my RV. On one of many trips in the lower 48 it malfunctioned in Montana. We had to drive two hrs away somewhere else in Montana to an Onan dealer. They spent an hour trying to talk me into a new Onan for a few thousand dollars (if I recall) while I pleaded with a couple of their guys to at least take a look at mine first (at 100 dollars an hour plus). They quickly discovered it was nothing more than wore out points. I ordered TWO sets at about 15 bucks apiece and went on my way.
    That said, Honda gens are nice. But like Macg said, it's nice to be able to turn your Onan on and off when needed from inside your RV.
    Your heater and fridge should operate on propane. I bought a 17 inch flatscreen w DVD player for 190 bucks in 2008. It runs on 120volt OR 12 volt.
    I would try to fix your Onan.

I forgot to mention it sounds like the house batteries need to be replace. Also make sure the alternator and the 120vac battery charger is working property.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I forgot to mention it sounds like the house batteries need to be replace. Also make sure the alternator and the 120vac battery charger is working property.
    Great point on the house batteries. They make all the diff. Instead of 15-30 minutes new batteries should give you all day and night use. (Within reason).

You may want to look into changing from 12 volt batteries to 2 6 volt golf cart batteries connected in series. That will give you a lot more run time on them.

I have two of the Honda 2000 generators that I run in parallel when I want to run the AC. One alone will not "start" the AC, but once started can run it, but it is hard on it. One also will run the microwave and TV, but may have trouble starting the furnace...if the furnace is running and you turn on the microwave, the furnace should stay on. Replace all your bulbs in your rig for LED lights inside and that too will help save your batteries. You will spend about 2K for two Hondas and the parallel kit. A 3000 isn't big enough for most rigs, so if you only want one gen, then go for at least a 4000. If you have one of the better Onan's (some models are pure crap) and can get it repaired under 2K, that may be the best way to go. This winter I went to Cache Camper outside of Palmer and talked with Larry about generators...he has a catalog full of all the Onan's he can get, and there are many fuel choices/size/weight as well as what it takes to run all appliances at once which was very educational for me. Good luck!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I think roger 45 is spot on. If you don't care about A/C one honda will do fine, but it won't cut it if you need the A/C. the furnace fans run on 12v, but they can really use up batteries fast. those big batteries take a long time to charge.