Thread: PWS Halibut - May 1st

Default PWS Halibut - May 1st

Hey guys, I've been lurking around the forums for a number of years and just picked up my boat in July of last year. This will be our first full season with it and I made my first trip out this past weekend. What a weekend! Beautiful weather and great luck on the fishing. Landed this unofficial 100lb halibut on Friday (58.5" and used the tide book table to estimate weight).

We didn't realize how big it was until it was in the boat, considering a big halibut was the last thing I was expecting on this trip. I had the GoPro rolling on deck so I was able to capture the chaos. Thought you guys might get a kick out of seeing me try to subdue this thing. I definitely don't plan to bring one this size aboard alive again.

https://youtu.be/9LK6YQzEiEo

I'll be out and about this summer and I'm always up for meeting new people or helping out if you have an issue. We're a 28ft Kingfisher, white/grey and currently named the Tundra Rose II. (Pic below from last August)

-Chris

Sounds like a great start to the season. Great photo of the boat. She looks great on the water. How are you liking the ETECs?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Sounds like a great start to the season. Great photo of the boat. She looks great on the water. How are you liking the ETECs?
    Definitely an awesome day one! Thanks, I'm really happy with the boat so far. The boat is setup with a single 300 ETEC which so far has been excellent. I'm the second owner so I didn't make the original power selection but no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by SewellGT View Post
    Definitely an awesome day one! Thanks, I'm really happy with the boat so far. The boat is setup with a single 300 ETEC which so far has been excellent. I'm the second owner so I didn't make the original power selection but no complaints.
    Gotcha. I know another boat running the same motor. Really likes it as well. See you on the water.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

LOL ..... watching you wack that fish reminds me of watching those kids out on the beach dip netting. They keep hitting until it stops moving and gives it another bump for good measure. Great catch bro!
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Quote Originally Posted by JimFly View Post
    LOL ..... watching you wack that fish reminds me of watching those kids out on the beach dip netting. They keep hitting until it stops moving and gives it another bump for good measure. Great catch bro!
    Haha, I definitely threw in a couple extra bonks just to be sure.

Very cool! It's always great to see success stories. My first trip was awesome too last weekend.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Nice fish!!! Beautiful day and boat!!!

I will say I was cringing watching the one guy trying to pin the halibut head down with his foot. The last time I saw that, the hook got attached to the boot and it got ugly in a hurry! Fortunately the hook only embedded into the boot and not the foot.

The power of halibut always impresses me. Even the little tiny ones when you are holding them.

Great start to the season!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

Congrats on the boat and the fish! Talk about a nice start to the summer huh? Its nice to see another guy running a single powerhead, not many of us out there.

You need to get a .410 snake charmer to "sedate" the big ones.....just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Barinak View Post
    You need to get a .410 snake charmer to "sedate" the big ones.....just a thought!
    we make use of the 410 on anything over 50lb, calms them right down!

Nice fish! What a way to start the season! (nice boat too!) I am looking forward to hooking into some fish soon as well. Be safe out there, everyone.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Here's a neat stunt.

Forget the head on a wild halibut for a moment. Whack them on the tail. Doesn't take much of a whack either, and it's a long ways from the hook.

For whatever reason a good tail whack stops them for a few seconds. They just go rigid and start quivering. Long enough for you to get a clear, clean swing on the head.

Try it. You'll like it!

Anymore if a halibut is bigger than about 35 lbs. it gets the harpoon, really take the fight out of them; then let them bleed out in the salt. I keep two tips on deck in case someone else hooks another. IF you hit them in the right spot they will bleed out quickly or I reach over the side with a knife.
    Congrats on the nice catch, we were going to head out to Monty this weekend but weather will keep us in close; pick up a few more gallons of shrimp. Granted we will drop some hooks over the side, never know what what’s down there.

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.