Thread: Trolling for Kings outside Lisianski Strait? SE AK

Default Trolling for Kings outside Lisianski Strait? SE AK

Was planning a trip to Pelican in June. Looking to troll for Kings on the coast.

I know Deer Harbor is the go-to spot for Kings in that area. Because of time, weather, and fuel concerns, was wondering if good salmon trolling could be had right outside Lisianski Straight. Maybe nearby Islas Bay or something?

Anyone with experience fishing this area of the Southeast Coast, your take is greatly appreciated.

Never fished that area myself, but I doubt you will have any problem catching King salmon on the outercoast in June. Outside of Islas, Squid, or the mouth of Lisianski would produce I'm sure. The north end of Yakobi/Cross sound area would probably be a great spot too.

Your odds of finding good salmon king salmon fishing are almost always better at Deer Harbor than anyplace else in the area. Try to figure out a way to get there (and back) if you can. There are at least two reasons for Deer Harbor king fishing to be so good: 1) lots of sand lance to feed on, and 2) smooth bottom (which the sand lance live in) so you aren't plagued by black rockfish. You are mostly either fishing or reeling in a king.

I have fished some around the mouth of Lisianski Strait. I'll stop and fish there if I see and good sign on my way to or from Pelican, Deer Harbor, or Mirror Harbor. I have caught kings in 120' - 150' of water just to the north and south of the mouth of Lisianski Strait, but it was at best 1 king for 10 (or more) rockfish. Pick out a trolling track that is completely featureless; the slightest bump will hold rockfish. West of Greentop Harbor is the spot I try first. I have done much better around there for coho (fishing really shallow) in July and August.

Big_E

I have been successful fishing around pineapple island, out side the strait, The biggest king I had on was south of Miners Island on the West side of the inlet, near the kelp bed. It was at least 60 pounds plus. It headed for the kelp and I could not stop it, it went in and wrapped around and broke off. We caught a 212 lb Halibut between Miner Island and Yakobi Island. There is a ridge between the two. Good Luck, Pelican is a fun place to fish out of. Go to Stag Bay and you can get some nice shrimp. Right in the middle of the bay, 400 feet of water, at the end of the bay is a mine shaft, fun to explore.

Appreciate all the tips gents. This should give us a good Plan B if we can't get out to Deer.

One other question. NOAA has "swirls" and "Tide rips" marked on their chart where the mouth Lisianski Strait meets up with the open ocean. Is this going to present a problem for a 22' boat passing through during tide changes?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    Appreciate all the tips gents. This should give us a good Plan B if we can't get out to Deer.

One other question. NOAA has "swirls" and "Tide rips" marked on their chart where the mouth Lisianski Strait meets up with the open ocean. Is this going to present a problem for a 22' boat passing through during tide changes?
    Some big water backs up in that part of the world, but most of it is in S. Inian Pass. Enjoy, Cross Sound is some of the best all around fishing in the land.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The water can be very swirly at times, especially in the straits, do not rely on your auto pilot. you can change direction 90 degrees in just a few seconds.

It is easy to get through during any part of the tide if you can see where you are going. If you run through the mouth in the middle of a big tide in heavy fog or at night your boat can really get spun around and you won't see it happening. Your instruments will be suspect too. The heading on your GPS will likely not be able to keep up. You will need to use your compass for heading and your GPS only for position.

Big_E

Thanks everyone for the good info. Having been through Inian pass, I was expecting more hell going through the mouth of Lisianski there. Sounds like caution is still needed but it won't be too horrific.