Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roust-A-Bout Lure Company

Default Roust-A-Bout Lure Company

Just wanted to say thanks to Chris for a shot at experimenting with some new colors/wraps. I had a very successful weekend and did get some really nice Halibut and Rockfish on his gear. Good stuff Chris.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have only used Chris's smaller jigs through the ice, but not only are they well made with lots of care going into each one, but Chris is the epitome of the helpful and encouraging mentor for anyone who seeks his advice.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Chris'sjigs outfish anything on the boat, fresh herring,octi, shimano butterfly jigs, etc.....I just ordered and received 10 more jigs from him. I have given away 1/2 of what I got to friends to fish......they will order some soon just friends from last year.
    Simply put.......Cook inlet candy kicks ass in PWS for butts, lings, yellow eye, and rockfish.
    Bk

My first and only guestimated triple digit butt (broke off at the surface) was hooked with a roustabout jig and scores of rockfish.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
    And what an awesome fish Charlie. Lots of good eating in that one.
    So Charlie how did the topcoat on the foil jig hold up?
    This jig was an experiment from the get go guys. I had always wanted a jig with holographic foil on it but couldn't figure out how it was done or where to start. I didn't even know where to get a foil that would work or how to secure it to a lead jig.
    I found a youtube video of this process being done in a jig factory in China(talk about scary safety wise).But the video didn't explain what they were doing or what stuff they were using. It just showed them doing it.
    I am on a couple of the biggest tackle making forums on the net and nobody had done this technique successfully that I could find.
    So I decided to figure out a process on my own. The jig in the middle picture is the end result.
    A thin layer of holographic foil is adhered to the jig. Then additional colors are airbrushed on. All this is followed by adding the eyes and a topcoat of a 2 ton clear epoxy.
    I hope the finish holds up as well as my traditional powder coat.It is certainly a more labor intensive process.
    The jigs certainly look real in the hand. The most realistic jig I have seen for saltwater anyway.
    Now that I know they work I have to get out and do some testing myself!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Do you have a website to place orders?
    www.surfishingalaska.com (Work in Progress)

Just a note for those who are interested in my jigs. I do not keep any stock of jigs on hand.
    Everything that comes out of my workshop is custom built in the styles,sizes and colors of YOUR choosing.
    I want people to get what they want not what I want to sell them.
    That's a big difference between custom and box store jigs. They sell cheaply painted stuff and you get to pick from what they have on hand.
    I make quality stuff to order just for you. And my powder paint doesn't flake off ever!
    The stuff I make flat out works. It was designed for Alaskan fishing. Cast and painted here in Alaska just for Alaskan waters.
    I have pictures from clients of fish much bigger than this one caught on my jigs.
    I want people to catch a lot of fish and these jigs do just that.
    I understand peoples hesitation though. When what you have always used seems to work why switch it out?
    Obviously many Alaskan fishermen are missing out on a lot of saltwater fish they could have caught and saved a lot of money on bait in the process.
    But that's OK as it leaves more fish out there for the rest of us who have the good stuff in our tackle boxes.

I can attest to the finish being tough. I don't have an after picture, but this jig

was bounced off rocks all day to the point the bottom eye was smashed flat and the jig was starting to take a bannana shape and absolutely no paint flaking.

I've used cheap chinese jigs over the years and you bounce them off the rocks for a couple of drifts and half the paint is flaked off.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

This one was bounced on a rock pile for about 2 minutes before hookup. Did suffer a bend in the upper eye but the fish battled pretty hard at the boat before he took a 180g .357 nap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    This one was bounced on a rock pile for about 2 minutes before hookup. Did suffer a bend in the upper eye but the fish battled pretty hard at the boat before he took a 180g .357 nap.
    I guess its good it wasn't a cheap brass eye or you may have lost the fish!
    I only use the best Stainless steel eyes in all my jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I guess its good it wasn't a cheap brass eye or you may have lost the fish!
    I only use the best Stainless steel eyes in all my jigs.
    Yep Chris....would have been gone without the stainless.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

One of these days I might post some info on what goes into jig designs and how to properly fish a jig.
    Why use jigs instead of bait and how to fish various jigs with bait attached.
    But as the pics show you can catch a lot of nice fish on a properly sized and fished jig. Even outfishing those using bait.
    I still like to drop a chum Bomb or two to get a scent trail going but if the fish are there they will hit a jig. Often times the smell of a bait draws fish in but the action of a jig makes them commit to it. they follow the scent trail then see the jig working and can't resist hitting it instead thinking it is a wounded bait trying to get away.
    Charlie is obviously a master jig fisherman. Guys who fish jigs regularly and with confidence will always do better.
    I know personally I have outfished people in my boat with jigs. I have even handed them my rod I was catching them on and put on a completely different jig on a seperate rod and still outfished them even switching rods back and forth.
    But once you get the hang of jig fishing you will forget bait fishing most of the time and strictly use jigs.
    Dropping a baited hook for your wife wile you work a jig is a great combo.

Were you fishing out of Seward Charlie?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    (sic)
    But once you get the hang of jig fishing you will forget bait fishing most of the time and strictly use jigs.
    I've been using jigs almost exclusively in the salt for the past five or six years. So long as you're not snagged in the rocks, when your jig is in the water you're fishing and you're not wasting time doing a bait check or replacing lost or stale bait. I still use bait, but instead of dropping a whole herring it gets cut up into chunks to tip the hook on the jig. If you're not getting bites on a baited jig either the fish aren't biting, you're in the wrong zipcode, or the tide/wind/drift is preventing you from presenting the jig to the fish.

A good jig is just a fishing machine, I've taken halibut, lingcod, pelagic rock fish, non pelagic rock fish, salmon, cod, pollock, and flounder from the bottom up throughout the water column. I've even had jigs outfish mooching rigs when chasing coho.

I may have to get a few of these for ice fishing Lakers. Mine get pretty beat up after a couple hook ups between Lakers, Char, and pike.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I may have to get a few of these for ice fishing Lakers. Mine get pretty beat up after a couple hook ups between Lakers, Char, and pike.
    I do make jigs sized for Lake trout.
    Powder paint is extremely durable that's for sure. Probably the most durable paint a guy can use.
    I think the foiled jigs would also slay a few lakers and pike for sure.
    This is a pic a friend from the Village sent me after a day of fishing the jigs I sent him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You taking any orders ?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

Do you have a website Chris?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris,
    I have pounded your lures on the bottom jigging and they are the toughest I have in my aresenal AND outfish anything else. They bottom eyes are flat, the metal is a bit mushroomed but the paint is perfect still, no cracking or chipping at all.
    Stanly and I have been fishing them off Bloodsport since early April this year on multiple trips and its all we used, caught fish each trip. Wife and I fished them all last year experimenting with various fresh baits and numerous jigs, yours outperform all other equipment.
    Great product.
    Looking forward to getting on the water and hammering away on some halibut in 2 more weeks!
    Bk

This post cost me money. I will be excited to get my order. I will post back on my luck and thoughts. Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast