Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sonar partially working

Default Sonar partially working

This is the first year I stored my boat inside. Took the family out on the Sound this last weekend for our first trip of the year. Everything ran well, except for my Sonar. The 200 mhz is reading partially and the deep water 50 mhz isn't recognizing anything. Everything was working before I put the boat up for the winter. So of course Garmin wants the most up to date software. Installing that in a few minutes. Then I am supposed to see if the transducer is making noise or vibrating.

Just curious if anyone has had a similar problem in the past? I checked the cables and everything looks good. The transducer looks good from outside the hull and inside the hull.

I am running a Garmin 5212 and am about to find out which transducer I have.

Thanx

i'd check all the pins & connectors on the plugs maybe squirt some contact cleaner on them. Then there is always the miracle cure all in a spray can Corrosion Block

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I checked the cables and everything looks good. The transducer looks good from outside the hull and inside the hull.
    It sounds like you have a thru-hull transducer as opposed to a transom mount transducer. If you have a transom mount, check the angle of the transducer in the mounting bracket. If you have a thru-hull, check the face on the bottom of the transducer for foreign material build-up. If you find nothing wrong, you probably have a GSD 22 processor and it is faulty or needs to be reset. I would and did replace the GSD 22 with a GSD 24.

TooLoose, Correct I have a GSD 22. Correct I have a through hull transducer. I know also have no radar and my card reader doesn't work. I can't do a software update without the card reader working. I was on the phone with Garmin for about an hour. I switched the cables for the sonar and radar and the GPS recognizes a sonar but will not recognize the radar. (Radar cable or radar may be bad, AWESOME, NOT) Garmin is sending me a new transom mount transducer for free to have me run it to the GSD 22 to see if that works and that will get me by for the summer. Then I need to send the 5212 in for minimum $600 service fee. No easy way on my radar to run a cable from the GPS unit to the radar to see if it is just a bad cable.

I have checked the external face of the transducer to make sure it is free of debris or a film. The GSD 22 is having the correct slow green blink.

Thanx

for 700 bucks(maybe less) you can get a brand new furuno sounder/gps,
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Furuno-GP...FZRffgodGq0Aug

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Well yes that is probably the plan this winter is to get a new GPS/Sonar system. But for the immediate future try to get the sonar working so I can enjoy the summer.

I would just take a guess that your radar problem may be a bad/corroded Garmin terminal end at the radar unit. I have no idea what the card reader problem might be. When Garmin sends the new transom mount transducer, if it is not a smart transducer, you will have to tell the 5212 head unit what transducer you have for it to connect. You might ask the Garmin Technical Services if one of the Garmin service guys will be in the Anchorage area this summer for assistance. Good Luck!

Apparently you need to use an 8GB or less SD/Micro card on the card reader. (Garmin website does not mention this) All I had was 64 GB cards so after using an 8 GB card I was able to update the software, but that did not change the transducer problem or radar problem. The thru hull transducer doesn't make any noise or vibrate (Garmin said it should) so it is most likely dead. I have an older GMR 18 radar. I have to open the housing and connect the ethernet cable from there to the GPS to see if it is the ethernet cable. The install instructions for the radar make no mention of an inline power fuse. So of course I was unable to find one, but I was reading online somewhere that there should one. Shaped have the transducer tomorrow and will find out if it is smart or not.

Found the inline fuse. Supposed to be a 7.5. Was a 10. Fuse was blown. Replaced it, thinking this should fix the problem. Still no radar. Have to remove the housing tonight and check the cables on the Radar Dome end. Gotta love Sea Water and corrosion and mystery problems. PWS was looking a touch rough for this weekend anyway.

If it was a 10 amp fuse and should have been a 7.5 amp that is not good. Sound like theirs a problem that someone tried to fix by adding a larger fuse. Measure the amp going threw the fuse it should be < 5amps.

You did say everything was working last year before you put it away for the winter?

MacGyver, Yep everything was working before I put the boat up for the winter. First year I kept the boat inside a heated hanger rather than outside with a tarp. Gremlins over the winter must have done some mischief.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    for 700 bucks(maybe less) you can get a brand new furuno sounder/gps,
    http://www.thegpsstore.com/Furuno-GP...FZRffgodGq0Aug
    I bought that unit last fall. Good thing I keep my hair cut too short to get a hold of...it would all be yanked out by now. Very disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    I bought that unit last fall. Good thing I keep my hair cut too short to get a hold of...it would all be yanked out by now. Very disappointed!
    whats wrong with it ?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    whats wrong with it ?
    I think I'll start a different thread..Furuno 1870F...instead of heading off on a tangent and messing up this one.

So the free transom mount transducer arrived from Garmin and is installed. It appears to be working normally. Opened up the radar dome to check the Ethernet cable connection and figured out why it was not working. Tons of corrosion. Water too. Tasted the water and it is fresh water. Radar dome is not cracked. Gasket seal looked good. Have a few pics but have to do that on the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Polardds, I should probably already know this, but what kind of boat do you have and what transducer did you receive from Garmin?

[QUOTE=polardds;1479432]So the free transom mount transducer arrived from Garmin and is installed. It appears to be working normally. Opened up the radar dome to check the Ethernet cable connection and figured out why it was not working. Tons of corrosion. Water too. Tasted the water and it is fresh water. Radar dome is not cracked. Gasket seal looked good. Have a few pics but have to do that on the computer.

there should be some sort of vent/drain on the bottom of the housing check and see if it not plugged or was blocked on the mount. I'd think that water is from condensation.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Pot Builder, that would appear as if the Radar dome was improperly installed as the vent/drain is covered. Being as there is one dealer in town who sells KingFishers, I would highly recommend to anyone who has one to check to make sure your radar has the vent/drain exposed.

TooLoose I have a KingFisher 2825 (Aluminum cabin cruiser with outboards). The transducer Garmin sent was a six pin, so when I get the GSD 24 it is supposed to come with an adapter because it takes an 8 pin. This winter I will install a new thru hole transducer. The packaging for the transducer does not list a model number. It is a dual frequency. I took a picture of the packaging. I can upload it if I figure out how again.

Default Transducer Packagaing

There was no model number listed. This transducer was sent just to make sure the GPS unit was recognizing a transducer. Would love some ideas on what thru hole transducer to get for a winter project. I will be getting the GSD 24 unit too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Birch look on the Airmar website or give them a call they are very helpful.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast