Thread: Roe Questions

Default Roe Questions

I don't have any home cured roe right now. Which leaves me to buy it from the store. So my question is which store bought roe do you think is the best. Also where to get it. Also which store bought roe should I stay away from. Is the stuff thats vacuum sealed better than the stuff in the containers in the freezers?

/Bump. Any input would be appreciated

When I have to.......I get the stuff in the tub, that is in the freezer. But only when I am desperate, which thank God isn't very often.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I buy the stuff in the tub from the freezer. I always try to find a tub where the roe is coiled around, with a good membrane. The stuff actually comes from Florida, but I have had tons of hits on it. I haven't had any more hits on homemade stuff.

I get the tub maybe once every two years never catch anything, but they stay on the hook better, I think when I was little I used the tub fairly effectively
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've used tub eggs from Alaska Perry Fly - usually only available on the peninsula - and had ok results. They are made from local red eggs and have pretty good membrane and hold on the hooks well. I usually fish with a spin and glo and glob of eggs.....I prefer my own cure but in a pinch the tub eggs do work.

Default salmon eggs

www.sunrisebait.com, not cheap but excellent color and hook holding capabilities. They will mail.

If you want some home cured give me a shout I have over 10 tubs in my freezer right now and I can part with one tub. If I am in desperate times when desperate measures are needed I will buy a tub but I haven't reeled in many fish with that stuff. I prefer a cured roe that is tougher than the rest. It's easier to cast longer distances and it sure lasts longer, especially with those that are not familiar with fishing. With a tougher roe it will stay on the hook longer but you have to set the hook like you mean it.