Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to wood flooring

Cool Alternative to wood flooring

The current floor in my boat is the marine coated plywood, and warped. The fine folks at a boat shop somewhere's in south big lake were kind enough to winterize my boat, leave it nose down in the parking area, let if fill with rain, and kindly freeze solid.
    Needless to say, it's trashed. And no, what happens in storage is "not their responsibility"... Uuuuuaaarrggh... Anyways..

I've looked at some options from the guys at CAC Plastics. Their UHMW and C-Board options are nice, but $$$. They have another type of plastic that's fairly light and strong, a little bit less $$, but I've no experience with it. Not sure who does... How do ya keep plastic from being slick when wet? Or can you?

Going all aluminum has its appeal too, but not sure if I want to stitch weld it or screw it down. If screwing it down, how do you keep it from rattling loose?

It's still usable and I can go run it, but it's coming out at some point and I'd like to use something other than wood..

I'm looking for suggestions, options, ideas, and possibly photos. Any and all are greatly appreciated.

Thanx folks...

Bummer re: the great dis service by the boat shop. I'd consider a small claims action against them. Just because someone says they are not responsible doesn't mean they are not. Plywood is cheapest and durable. Be sure to seal the heck out of it..particularly the edges and anywhere you attach anything. One of the forum guys re did his and used a product available at Home Depot and probably Lowe's called "Deck Restore". It is waterproof and Non slip.

I'll consider that product...

(and the small claims action too)...

Thanx Gary...

3/16" diamond plate aluminum makes a nice floor + sikaflex the edges to seal it up.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I went with the diamond plate too. It's so much nicer than wood. And like others said. Be sure to check your foam. I'd bet it's soaked too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Diamond plate is nice, I put a couple bottles of silicone under it on all the structure to keep it quite

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    3/16" diamond plate aluminum makes a nice floor + sikaflex the edges to seal it up.
    Is Sikaflex that Black flexible trim stuff you'd put around metal edges? The same stuff you see on a lot of forward helm designed windshields and whatnot?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I went with the diamond plate too. It's so much nicer than wood. And like others said. Be sure to check your foam. I'd bet it's soaked too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No foam to worry about, none there. It's over 20'...

I had a diamond plate floor in one of my boats years ago. Tuff as nails, lasted a long time. But the glare off of it was blinding sometimes. All of my boats have been and still is, an open center console. Glare sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielApplin View Post
    Diamond plate is nice, I put a couple bottles of silicone under it on all the structure to keep it quite
    A thick coat between the ribs and floor bottom just for rattling? Flexing? Noise reduction?
    Kinda like liquid nails under a base floor in a house?

Thank folks for the responses so far.... I do appreciate it...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Is Sikaflex that Black flexible trim stuff you'd put around metal edges? The same stuff you see on a lot of forward helm designed windshields and whatnot?
    No its a gray sealant used by roofers. I'll post the type info later tonite.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

A thick coat between the ribs and floor bottom just for rattling? Flexing? Noise reduction?
    Kinda like liquid nails under a base floor in a house?
    Ya just for rattling and it keeps sand and such from getting in between the metal and causing noise when you step on it

I have a diamond plate floor in my Sea Ark and its painted. The paint stops the glare and its easy to touch up.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    No its a gray sealant used by roofers. I'll post the type info later tonite.
    Sikaflex 1A construction sealant - aluminum grey in color. Matches up with both the diamond plate & grey zolatone paint in color real good.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I had a diamond plate floor in one of my boats years ago. Tuff as nails, lasted a long time. But the glare off of it was blinding sometimes. All of my boats have been and still is, an open center console. Glare sucks...
    You can always have it Line-x'd.
    Have any colour you want, great durability and ZERO glare!!!!

I have seen the " deck restore" product peeling after a year on house decks, if you are lucky it lasts two years. Maybe the technique used wasnt the best but if water gets behind it anywhere, it peels a lot. I would use Durabak($$$) or similar before the "restore "($$) product.

I used the Deck Restore 1 X on my boat deck wood, cleaned it well caulked seams, went on easy. I keep boat tarped, I prefer a wood deck for being quiet and it is warmer, on a cold day, maintenance is a pain. As is all wood on a boat.

akdeweyj gets the nod..
    I've looked into many options, the aluminum with Sikaflex will be the route that I take.
    I did also talk with a guy with a new SeaArk at a boat launch recently who had painted his aluminum floor. It looked really good...

Thanks for the ideas and thoughts...

What do you think this well run price wise, need to get rid of the dang wood in my 18' boat. It has carpet and fish dont work well with that crap.
    Diamond Justice MO 70lbs
    Shut-up And Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by TeXXaN View Post
    What do you think this well run price wise, need to get rid of the dang wood in my 18' boat. It has carpet and fish dont work well with that crap.
    My wood boards measure "roughly" 14ft (L) x 6' (W). Considering the curves, it's about 80-85sq ft of floor space.

4 sheets of 1/8" aluminum @ 4'x8' ea sheet: $225 p/ sheet, that's ("roughly" $7.50) sq ft... $900.00 for materials only.

The labor, of course, is on me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast