Decided to run up the Knik Friday with a buddy and head to the glacier for some fun and do some glassing for bears, well that was the plan anyway.... Put in at the airboat pond and headed down the creek to the Knik. Boat felt great and we were cruising along at about 3800 rpm's when we were passing that geodesic looking house atop the bluff across from Jims when the boat lifted into the air violently and almost stopped immediately. Looked behind us to see what we hit and saw something in the water. As we circled around, my buddy said " there sure are a lot of uniform looking holes in whatever that is", and that's when my stomach sank. As we found a deeper place to nose up to the bank we got out and I felt underneath the boat. About 3/4 of the poly from the bow back was gone! We retrieved our piece and headed back to the launch staying in the deep. Anchored her on a cut bank upriver from the pond so we could float her on. After we retrieved the truck and trailer the boat went on easily except this new spot wasn't super favorable and the truck got buried. A few hours later we were out with a buddy's winch, shovels, a Cummins, and a 502 pourin the coals to her! Met another fellow airboater and his buddies who lent a hand in the process and who got stuck as wel trying to get their boat out. At least the weather was nice! Made the run to Skip's Saturday and got her torn apart in preparation for new poly. Skip is the man! Don't know what I'd have done without him.
Still not not quite sure if we hit something that caused the poly to fail, but it seems unusual that it failed in the way that it did. The poly itself was 1 full sheet, bow to stern. Luckily no damage was done what so ever to the boat bottom but more importantly, no one was hurt when it let go.