Thread: Tore the poly off.......

Default Tore the poly off.......

Decided to run up the Knik Friday with a buddy and head to the glacier for some fun and do some glassing for bears, well that was the plan anyway.... Put in at the airboat pond and headed down the creek to the Knik. Boat felt great and we were cruising along at about 3800 rpm's when we were passing that geodesic looking house atop the bluff across from Jims when the boat lifted into the air violently and almost stopped immediately. Looked behind us to see what we hit and saw something in the water. As we circled around, my buddy said " there sure are a lot of uniform looking holes in whatever that is", and that's when my stomach sank. As we found a deeper place to nose up to the bank we got out and I felt underneath the boat. About 3/4 of the poly from the bow back was gone! We retrieved our piece and headed back to the launch staying in the deep. Anchored her on a cut bank upriver from the pond so we could float her on. After we retrieved the truck and trailer the boat went on easily except this new spot wasn't super favorable and the truck got buried. A few hours later we were out with a buddy's winch, shovels, a Cummins, and a 502 pourin the coals to her! Met another fellow airboater and his buddies who lent a hand in the process and who got stuck as wel trying to get their boat out. At least the weather was nice! Made the run to Skip's Saturday and got her torn apart in preparation for new poly. Skip is the man! Don't know what I'd have done without him.

Still not not quite sure if we hit something that caused the poly to fail, but it seems unusual that it failed in the way that it did. The poly itself was 1 full sheet, bow to stern. Luckily no damage was done what so ever to the boat bottom but more importantly, no one was hurt when it let go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

when i test ran looking to buy my first airboat, we were on a lake running about 30mph and the poly caught a lip in deep water and ripped about half way back. boat went from 30 to 0 instantly. i was sitting on the bow facing back and flipped right into the water, driver ended up face down on the front deck, we are lucky somebody wasn't kilt. thought we had hit a dock or something, such a sudden stop. went back to the lunch at 3-4k rpm's but only going about 5 mph with the remaining poly pointing straight down. Didn't buy that boat. old cracked white poly, been on there for years.
    Wasilla

You must be Pete's buddy. He was telling me your story, thinking that you'd hit something, but I figured your Poly just caught and tore off. Sounds like you have a nice rig

-Rob
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

Yea, we'll see if Pete wants to still go out sometime...... It's been a fun boat so far except for this little adventure! I ended up walking the area in waders the other night where it let loose just to see if there was something out there, but couldn't find anything. New poly is getting finished up as we speak by the almighty Skip, should have her early next week to see what other trouble I can get into!

Quote Originally Posted by cpot View Post
    Yea, we'll see if Pete wants to still go out sometime...... It's been a fun boat so far except for this little adventure! I ended up walking the area in waders the other night where it let loose just to see if there was something out there, but couldn't find anything. New poly is getting finished up as we speak by the almighty Skip, should have her early next week to see what other trouble I can get into!

Good deal. I can't remember if we met before or not. Shouldn't have a problem running that river in that boat. If I can make it to the glacier in my duck, then it should be a cakewalk for your boat

EDIT: Next time I beach the Duck I know who I'm calling!

Good luck.

-Rob
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

Yea, it's a fun run up there in the airboat. Also, if you ever need a hand out there I live about 5 min from the old bridge and have a Simpson winch ready to work. Always looking for an excuse to get out on the river!

Charles
    223-8733