Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parks creeks

Default Parks creeks

Anyone been by recently that would care to share a conditions report? Thinking of hitting Montana later this week or Willow possibly for bows.

I suspect that they are starting to fish, but see my previous post about "voluntary spawning closure". I too was intending to head that way to swing a fly, but some more experienced and likely wiser folks told me to hold off until the spawn was over in mid June. Had some days blocked off to fish, but now not sure what to do.

I fished Willow for about 4 hours Wednesday afternoon. Water was discolored from runoff - visibility was under 3 feet, probably closer to 2'. Dolly lamas & smelt patterns - nada.

Good time of year to be chasing pike. It keeps the pressure off of spawning trout, and helps remove an invasive fish that impacts salmon runs (speaking of Southcentral, to be specific).
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I never fish or walk on redds and in all my trips to AK I've never retained a single fish or killed one that I'm aware of. There should be plenty of places to fish in the river (if you fish the right water) where you shouldn't be fishing over redds I would think right? I'd love to fish for pike if someone could tell me where you can fish from shore for them in the Valley? There's no pike in Wasilla Lake is there?

See my post called "Willow Creek Family Night". Had some good fishing there last night.

Also see my post called "Talkeetna Rainbows" in the Freshwater forum. All the creeks crossing the highway looked great. Seen quite a few trucks at Goose Creek and the creek looked like it had some nice water. The wife and I ended up fishing the Talkeetna River and did well...

Hippie you want to give up all your pike hot spots to help keep people off rainbows? Those were some nice fish trailblazer

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Thanks Kwack.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-06-2015 at 14:40.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Good time of year to be chasing pike. It keeps the pressure off of spawning trout, and helps remove an invasive fish that impacts salmon runs (speaking of Southcentral, to be specific).
    I agree with you regarding pike. They are fun in the spring, especially top water in the shallows V's before the strike and all. Nancy Lake is a good place to work em over if you are also doing it to protect Salmon, trout, etc. as the connection to the Little Su surely invites predation on other resources.

With that said, I can't help but keep looking at that beautiful char you are holding in the profile picture. The colors are... well just... so brilliant. I've caught fish that look like that when targeting fall rainbows. Aren't Char fall spawners?

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    I agree with you regarding pike. They are fun in the spring, especially top water in the shallows V's before the strike and all. Nancy Lake is a good place to work em over if you are also doing it to protect Salmon, trout, etc. as the connection to the Little Su surely invites predation on other resources.

With that said, I can't help but keep looking at that beautiful char you are holding in the profile picture. The colors are... well just... so brilliant. I've caught fish that look like that when targeting fall rainbows. Aren't Char fall spawners?
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    Hippie you want to give up all your pike hot spots to help keep people off rainbows? Those were some nice fish trailblazer
    I've replied to 3 PM's this week alone regarding fishing spots, I won't however post much detail about them publicly. Too many slobs out their who won't do their own homework, and have more regard for their own indulgences than they do the resource....

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post

Nancy Lake is definitely a good place to start, as are sloughs and beaver ponds off of some of the larger drainages in the Susitna watershed, ooops, there I go posting information for the masses.....

As to the Char in my photo, it is a dandy, and thanks for noticing. The river in which it was caught saw over 10K returning char in that year alone, not really a Rainbow Trout fishery, though a few can be found.
    Oh, and the photo in question was taken the first week in August, weeks prior to the spawn.
    Last edited by Brian M; 05-06-2015 at 14:39.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Exactly correct.

That's why I answer dern near EVERY PM I get regarding fishing and logistics, free of charge. Not once have I asked for anything in return, except keeping such information between the two of us.

Exactly correct.

That's why I answer dern near EVERY PM I get regarding fishing and logistics, free of charge. Not once have I asked for anything in return, except keeping such information between the two of us.
    That's one thing I have always appreciated about you. Always. And I try to do the same, out of my limited knowledge.

If anything I was referring to some of the harshness I have seen in public of late. I am sure you have reasons for that, but it does come across as harsh at times.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

That's one thing I have always appreciated about you. Always. And I try to do the same, out of my limited knowledge.

If anything I was referring to some of the harshness I have seen in public of late. I am sure you have reasons for that, but it does come across as harsh at times.
    Appreciate the first comment.

As to the second, I generally reply with the same tone in which I am addressed. Want a moderated and polite response? Ditto. But the onus is on the individual and their approach to the subject. Reference post #4, as an example.

Appreciate the first comment.

As to the second, I generally reply with the same tone in which I am addressed. Want a moderated and polite response? Ditto. But the onus is on the individual and their approach to the subject. Reference post #4, as an example.
    It's a philosophical difference. Some try to turn the other cheek and some subscribe to "an eye for an eye". None of us follow those standards perfectly, but we often tend one way or the other. That's what I'm saying.

Most importantly, I really do appreciate your generosity toward strangers here. I believe this shows the true spirit of most of the Alaskans I know. It's one of the things that makes this place so great.

-Mike

It's a philosophical difference. Some try to turn the other cheek and some subscribe to "an eye for an eye". None of us follow those standards perfectly, but we often tend one way or the other. That's what I'm saying.

Most importantly, I really do appreciate your generosity toward strangers here. I believe this shows the true spirit of most of the Alaskans I know. It's one of the things that makes this place so great.

-Mike
    -Grin-

In my experience, turning the other cheek more often than not gets a fella TWO black eyes!

But point taken, and thanks for the input, Mike.

-Grin-

In my experience, turning the other cheek more often than not gets a fella TWO black eyes!

But point taken, and thanks for the input, Mike.
    It's funny you posted this-- I just logged back in to say that sometimes you have to choose between really red cheeks, or damaged eyes. But I think the "turn the other cheek" folks probably do take a few more beatings. If they're very practiced at it, though, I think they end up with a thicker skin too!

To try and get back to the OP and his question.

Yes, the Parks Hwy streams are open to trout fishing. 20 years ago, even during this timeframe folks thought nothing of heading up for a day on the water. There where less folks who knew of the opportunity, and thus less pressure, it still wasn't a great idea, but you didn't see the divide you do today over such things.

With the advent of the internet and the growing popularity of fly fishing in general, and trout fishing in particular, it is only a matter of time until we see the same closures that have been instituted on other rivers in AK.

The Upper Kenai is a great, and often used, example. Years ago it was open to power boats, bait and spinners with treble hooks where standard fare, and it was open year 'round.

The native trout paid the price.

Today it is drift boat only, no bait, fly only for a large portion, no treble hooks allowed, and it is closed May1st-June 11th.

The native trout are thriving now, and are World Class.

Instead of learning a lesson from that, folks simply headed North, for the Parks Hwy waters, and now we are seeing the pattern repeating itself.
    Eventually these waters to will see new regulations, and the process will repeat itself into likely the drainages on the Glenn highway.

It is much like we are seeing with Clam Gulch and clamming. After years of gluttony, those beaches this year are closed for clamming. What is the response from many?

"HEY! The West Side beaches are open, and there's NO LIMIT!! Let's get 'em boys!!!"

I may come off as a complete jerk, and I realize that. But as someone who has spent my life up here watching area after area get loved to death, at some point we need to start policing ourselves, or else Big Brother will do it for us.

One can still get out and shake off the Winter doldrums by fishing Pike (as mentioned) or grabbing a float tube or canoe and hitting one of MANY lakes that are stocked by ADF&G. There are plenty of options to get out and fish, which is what we all want to do.

Some of us just ask that we learn from past mistakes and try to not repeat them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast