Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Alaska, Looking at Palmer area.

Default Moving to Alaska, Looking at Palmer area.

After 28 years I have convinced my wife, so we are in the planning stages now. I have a woodmizer LT 40 hydraulic being delivered in Anchorage next week. We are flying up late June to actually walk the properties we have been viewing online. We really like the Palmer area but real estate agents, even in Palmer are leading us towards the Wasilla area. One actually told me the people in Palmer and Sutton don't tolerate outsiders so its best to stay away. Really... We picked Palmer because it does not seem as commercialized as Wasilla and it has our denomination church. My entire family is moving up so we were buying around 40 acres so I can build 5-6 log cabins.

I am just wondering if the people of Palmer really don't won't outsiders or is it just that the real estate agents can sell more land in the Wasilla and Knick areas.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

You must be very wealthy, if your buying 40 acres in Palmer. Live where you want to live, nearly every one in Alaska is an "Outsider". Suggest you ask the agent if they were born in Palmer.

NOOOO, definitely not wealthy. Saving for years, buying equipment, sell the inventory in my silencer business. I have been planning this for many years. Land at 80-100K for 40 acres is not bad at all. Down here the cheapest land is aournd 10k for a half acre and that is swamp. Yes the agent lives in Palmer.

Was agent "BORN" in Palmer.......???? or is agent an outsider.........??? Either way, I would not worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalgun View Post
    Yes the agent lives in Palmer.

I recently "mostly" relocated to Palmer. It has more of a small town feel than Wasilla for sure, but still feels like part of the Anchorage megalopolis to me, coming from a town where you have to drive 70 miles to go to most bigger stores.

As far as being an outsider, I have no idea what your agent is talking about. I spent a couple months remodeling before moving into the house in Palmer. When it was just me, my pickup and open trailer, I got a lot of slow drive-bys, and curious lookers. When the Uhaul finally came with furniture, several neighbors came by and welcomed us. Never got the feeling of not being wanted. In fact, later in the first week after moving in, I was casting bullets in the driveway, and 2 different neighbors came by to talk shooting and BS.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you join in you won't be a outsider.Help where you can,accept help when offered.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The wind.....she blows in Palmer. Colder in winter, but warmer in summer.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

The outsiders thing is BS, as it pertains to Palmer.

I know others that have found Sutton to be very welcoming.

Sounds like you're getting steered.

It all depends on where you live for the wind. Colder than what? The Palmer weather is not that bad, I have lived here 40 years I have seen some cold winters many years ago but of late the winters have not been bad. It is a great place to live ,the biggest down side is that you have to go to Wasilla for the bigger stores.

Palmer sucks. Anderson would be a better selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    It all depends on where you live for the wind. Colder than what? The Palmer weather is not that bad, I have lived here 40 years I have seen some cold winters many years ago but of late the winters have not been bad. It is a great place to live ,the biggest down side is that you have to go to Wasilla for the bigger stores.
    For what it's worth, if you find a plot of land protected from the big wind, Palmer has just about the most beneficial weather in Alaska for growing crops and gardens. Fairbanks might be a touch better for certain hot weather crops, but has worse winter kill issues and a shorter season.

Hoyt, What is holding you back from your move to Anderson?????

Palmer can be windy as hell. You will be getting the wind hammers from both the Matanuska and Knick. Are you Morman? Theres a lot of em in Palmer. I'm rather surprised you are finding a 40 acre (usable?) parcel in the area for 80-100K......in this market. I know a guy who just bought a 40 acre lot for a subdivision build at 45K an acre. I will be interested to hear what the land looks like when you walk it.....
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

We love Palmer. We have been here for 4 years now and have not had any issues. Everyone has been very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Hoyt, What is holding you back from your move to Anderson?????
    If I get everyone going to Anderson, I won't have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

No we are not Morman. We are church of God.

No we are not Morman. We are Church Of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    Palmer can be windy as hell. You will be getting the wind hammers from both the Matanuska and Knick. Are you Morman? Theres a lot of em in Palmer. I'm rather surprised you are finding a 40 acre (usable?) parcel in the area for 80-100K......in this market. I know a guy who just bought a 40 acre lot for a subdivision build at 45K an acre. I will be interested to hear what the land looks like when you walk it.....
    The land we found was on Christian Ridge Road.

Quote Originally Posted by coastalgun View Post
    The land we found was on Christian Ridge Road.
    Closer to Sutton than Palmer. Did your Realtor tell you about the coal mine going in next door?

Outsiders are okay as long as they don't drive a kia, nissans or any of those other import jobbers... Or Winnebago's - we hate those too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast