Thread: Delta Air fish box rules?

Default Delta Air fish box rules?

I'm flying Delta into, and more importantly, out of Sitka in June.

I'm wondering, since it is fairly new that they fly to Sitka, what their policies are about fish boxes, and whether they even have their own gate/counter personnel, or use the same staff as Alaska Air?

In particular, Alaska Air will let you tape together two fish boxes of the same size to treat as one piece of checked luggage (provided it is not overweight). Can I do this on Delta?

I'm not a super-bonus-whatever club member on either airline, so I pay for each piece of checked luggage. So unless I have more than 50lbs of processed fish, I'd like it to be one checked item. I am bringing two 24.5"x11"x8" "25lb. boxes to reuse.

Also any reason they wouldn't allow any fish that won't fit in those two boxes in a soft cooler as a carry-on (assuming it fits within carry-on size limits? (Fish will be frozen, vacuum sealed, with gel-pack ice).

Thanks in advance for any insight into Delta's practices.

Gel-packs are a waste of space. If you have to pay for a bag on most air carriers it can be more then 50 lbs. As for Delta, ask them what you can do. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by pbb View Post
    Also any reason they wouldn't allow any fish that won't fit in those two boxes in a soft cooler as a carry-on (assuming it fits within carry-on size limits? (Fish will be frozen, vacuum sealed, with gel-pack ice).
    I'd worry lots more about TSA at the security check points. I'm betting the average security guard doesn't know the difference between a gel pack and plastic explosives, or frozen fish and biotoxins.

I'm not sure about Delta's rules regarding checked baggage, but the thing that might have problems would be the gel pack in a carry on. I don't know how they would treat that with regards to getting through security since they typically don't allow liquids, gels, etc...

I bring frozen steaks up all the time in a carry on soft cooler and have never had any issues ( no gel pack). This is on Alaska Airlines. I noticed since Delta started offering service to Ketch the airline tickets for Alaska Airline dropped about $80.

With regards to bringing frozen fish in carry-on luggage:

TSA will almost certainly prohibit the gelpacks at the security checkpoint. However, you can use dry ice in a carry-on cooler, but you need to declare this at check-in with the airline, and you can only have so much (I believe 4 pounds). If the fish is frozen solid in the first place, and packed in a suitable cooler that will fit in the overhead bin, it will probably be ok for a normal day's travel.

Personally it seems like alot of trouble to bring it that way - would rather just pay the baggage fee to ship a properly packed fish box.

Why do 2 small as opposed to one larger and keep it at 49 pounds? More box is less fish and less mass to keep frozen, get a good foil liner, use one box and it will stay frozen to whatever destination. If you are set on two small-Wrap/tie up both boxes to make it appear as one so you don't get asked questions.

TSA doesn't prohibit frozen gel packs, they go through all the time. Many people travel with special food and medication that has to stay cool. Could also Throw some wrapped up cheese or other non liquid/gel item in there and claim your doctor said that was the only thing you can have while traveling and it needs to stay cool. Just make sure the gel packs are frozen at the original departure screening checkpoint.

As for carrying on frozen fish in a soft cooler, TSA doesn't care as long as its not a "threat" and the airline doesn't as long as you follow their carry-on baggage rules regarding size and weight restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    However, you can use dry ice in a carry-on cooler, but you need to declare this at check-in with the airline, and you can only have so much (I believe 4 pounds).
    I am pretty sure dry ice is only allowed in checked baggage, not carry-on, due to it being considered a low level HazMat item. I think AK Air limits you to 5lbs, but check with Delta to be sure, each is different. One carrier, (I think United), wanted to charge me $100-150 for having any dry ice at all. I took it out of the fish box and tossed it in the trash. Like others have said, one solid mass of fish packaged well should stay frozen throughout your flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_JR View Post
    I am pretty sure dry ice is only allowed in checked baggage, not carry-on, due to it being considered a low level HazMat item. I think AK Air limits you to 5lbs, but check with Delta to be sure, each is different. One carrier, (I think United), wanted to charge me $100-150 for having any dry ice at all. I took it out of the fish box and tossed it in the trash. Like others have said, one solid mass of fish packaged well should stay frozen throughout your flights.
    Not really. 49 CFR 175.310 is the regulatory text that describes exceptions for passengers and crew to HAZMAT regs.

Dry ice under 2.5 Kg or~5.5 lbs is allowed in checked or carry on as long as it is vented/ vessel can't build up pressure.

Here is a quick reference:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ersandcrew.pdf

Interesting, I stand corrected! Just checked the AK Air website and see they do allow dry ice in carry-ons. Not sure where I thought I read it wasn't allowed. Maybe just came up with that on my own after my bad experience on the United flight.

Learned something new today...

My biggest concern would be how TSA decides to handle the "box" that is obviously two boxes taped together. Suspicious boxes tend to get opened... And there is no way of knowing what TSA in Sitka will do based on what TSA anywhere else in the country is gonna do.

Delta rules...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Be careful on Delta with oversize, overweight and extra bags. The price adds up very quickly because they will charge for all of them.
    Alaska will only charge you the highest single fee.

Sent from my iPhone while hiding with a gun and a bottle.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I haul fish all the time...first thing, forget the dry ice unless you are traveling for 15+hours. Freeze your fish solid and place it Ina a insulated box...you don't need foil or paper. If your fish does happen to thaw a bit no big deal, re-freeze it. If you have a short flight you could just stuff it in a backpack and carry it on, in this case you may want to add some newspaper for insulation but you wouldn't be worried about the weight so you could pack it full...

Thanks everyone for your advice and thoughts. Here's what I learned on my trip:

1) Delta is perfectly happy to accept two fish boxes of the same size taped or banded together as checked luggage, so long as they don't exceed size and/or weight requirements. (I wanted to do this, rather than one bigger box, b/c I had 2 25lb aqua-pak boxes from previous trips).

1a) Delta will check luggage up to 70 lbs for free from Sitka for anyone who has military ID (including retired and reserve traveling for pleasure). (I was traveling with my cousins who qualified).

2) I was able to include a 1.5lb Coho fillet in a insulated carry-on without any objection from TSA or Delta. I don't know if that would have been any different if the carry-on was completely packed with fish.

If you want a good soft side go to Costco. Get the nylon collaspable one. You can cut steroform to insert in the side walls to help retaining frozen fish. I managed to fit almost #25 of Reds last year and took it on as my carry on. Held for 15hrs of overall travel time and was rock solid when arriving home.

Delta is a pretty great airline. We've been carrying on fish for years: frozen, raw, and one time a fresh wolf hide and skull. TSA thought that was pretty slick! Never had any issues with this type of stuff.