Thread: Sport Jet Questions

Default Sport Jet Questions

I have a new Seaark Predator with the 200 Sport Jet in it. I am new to the Sport Jet family and learning things. Any advice would be great.

A couple I have come up with are the basics as I am learning the simple gauge it has.

What should the operating temperature be when running? What PSI is normal and lastly how often do you service the jet pump and change the fluids in it. Read the owners manual and it seems to just tell you how to do it not when.

Thanks
    Sam

Sam

Surprised your dealer did not go over this with you.. Your SJ will run 65-68 in our waters under power. 40 degrees or so more at idle over 1000 RPM.

Most recreational users are fine with fall fluid changes to keep an eye on things.

Feel free to Stop by the Marina and look me up. I would be happy to go over things with you to help you keep your new boat running ship shape. It is cheaper and easier to maintain your sport Jet and pump than fix it...

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    I have a new Seaark Predator with the 200 Sport Jet in it. I am new to the Sport Jet family and learning things. Any advice would be great.

A couple I have come up with are the basics as I am learning the simple gauge it has.

What should the operating temperature be when running? What PSI is normal and lastly how often do you service the jet pump and change the fluids in it. Read the owners manual and it seems to just tell you how to do it not when.

Thanks
    Sam

My temps always used to jump about 50 degrees when I was out of the powerband, and that was with a 175. The jet unit is very expensive to work on, so take very good care of it. Don't run it at 1/3 or 1/2 throttle all day, they like 3/4 to wot, Fuel economy went up with mine at 3/4 vs 1/2 throttle. LET IT WARM UP, I have heard horror stories about these motors when you just hop in and go. I changed my fluids every 50 hours, and topped the oil off every time I filled up. Every year I would also check the end play on the shaft, and make sure everything was in spec. They vibrate a lot, its normal. Expect to bring some Loctite with you. Also pay very close attention to the steering linkages, Mine came off once above the big bend and I could only turn left, it was a long trip back to the landing. Also check the steering boots, and seals, any silt that gets inside them ruins the cable, which is expensive, I learned the hard way. Overall I was very impressed with the reliability of the sport jets.

Default Sport Jet Questions

Keep an eye on the bucket and steering bushings, they are plastic and don't last in the silty water. I upgraded my bucket bushings to a bronze bushing and they last a lot longer. Change pump/stator oil in the fall before winterizing then it's ready to go before summer, if you will be running it a lot you might have to change it in the middle of summer also. Oil is pretty simple, get yourself a oil jug pump and try to get some instructions off the net for maintenance. You will probably have to impeller work once a year or every other. Having a stainless wear ring installed helps a lot. Like mentioned above, keep a wrench on various nuts and bolts cause these things vibrate! I always makes various nuts/bolts with a sharpie so I could just visually inspect then every trip. I miss my predator with the 175SJ, always ran good minus carb freezing in the fall. Have fun with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

375-

this Mercury optimax annual service manual may be helpful...has helped me...

M.
    Attached Files Attached Files

where did you get yhe bronze bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by KP View Post
    where did you get yhe bronze bushings?
    Burkeshore Marina.