Thread: Looking for family tent advise

Default Looking for family tent advise

Good Afternoon. I am looking for a family tent that will serve dual purposes. I am really looking into canvas tents. My small family is at the age where I want to start taking them out. The wife is reluctant, unless she is comfortable. I'd love to get a wall tent that we could put up and leave up for a long period of time and possibly use it as a moose hunting camp as well. Eventually it will be moved to our land as we build a cabin for summers.

Any suggestion of companies to stay away from or to look into?
    Our budget is kind of flexible. Right now I would say between 700-1000, but if I wait a little longer, we can save up more.
    Space is important as well as the ability to keep everyone dry and bugs at bay.

Right now I am looking at the kodiak lines. I know Sportsmans have some canvas tents on display, but it's been awhile since I have been in there to look more indepth.

I have a Kodiak canvas 10x14 and I really like it. Easy to setup, warm, dry if setup properly, and very spacious.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have a Kodiak canvas 10x14 and I really like it. Easy to setup, warm, dry if setup properly, and very spacious.
    What is the longest you have left it up for? I was looking at the 12X9 with the awning...

How many people comfortably sleep in it? Do you use a heater?

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    What is the longest you have left it up for? I was looking at the 12X9 with the awning...

How many people comfortably sleep in it? Do you use a heater?
    I have had it up for over a month. My family of 5 sleeps in it very comfortably

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have had it up for over a month. My family of 5 sleeps in it very comfortably
    Thanks. Did you treat it with a water repellent? Or not?

No I didn't

Check out springbar canvas tents, especially the wind test videos.
    One of the box sores , cabelas or bass pro crriesthem or a copy.
    Friends have them, great tent for Ak! Seen them in use Prudhoe, very simple and great design....easy to use.
    Bk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Canvas wall tent with a wood frame, knee wall, and floor.

I can't speak for other brands, but I've had an Alaska Tent and Tarp canvas tent erected (not the Arctic Oven, rather the old style) for over 36 months over a 15-year period, and some of that has been fairly abusive. It's getting a little bit worse for wear at this point, but I am phenomenally pleased with it's durability.

It's heavy. 12x14 I think, and it must way close to 70 lb. Cost me about $500 without a frame, if I remember right.

And, hogs right about the knee wall and wooden floor. If you can afford that it makes it way, way more livable.

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Our Alaska Tent and Tarp canvas wall tent is over 30 years old. Has been camping all over the state of Alaska including 15 years on the North Slope.

Our four boys are using it now.

Camping out at minus 20.

Hard to beat a properly set up wall tent. I'm selling a Montana Tent and Canvas 12x17 wall tent on the Swap and Sell section of this site. It is a great tent made from their Realite material and does not weigh nearly as much as a heavy canvas wall tent and resists mildew better.