Thread: Buckmaster scopes and very good day shooting

Default Buckmaster scopes and very good day shooting

Well, I put three new buckmaster scopes on my rifles. On my 22-250 Ruger Target grey and my Mark V Custom 300WBY I put the 6-18x40mm SF BDC and on my Kimber 8400 Montana I put the 4.5-14x40mm SF BDC. Now I got up at 5:30am got myself and exquipment ready loaded up and was set up by 7:30am and ready to shoot. I wanted to use the cool of the morning to keep barrel temp down and so I would shoot one starting with the 300WBY and then the 30-06 and finish the rotation with my 22-250. Now I think it is better to take one rifle and just work with it or maybe two because the difference in trigger, recoil, and fit of each rifle is different and that means there has to be a lot of control with my shooting technique. My new loads for my 30-06 that I was trying were not satidfactory and I will have to work on those. My 22-250 trying new loads with the 53 TSX were ok but need work. Now not many times in my life have I shot a group like I did today. Only one other time have I done so and that was with a Savage 116 7mmSTW which will be the first picture I show. Then I will show the 22-250 group on a 22 target so you can get a perspective just how phenominal the group out of my 300WBY really is. Then you will see the 300WBY group that I shot at 200yds which I think needs some work. It was the last group of the day and I was getting tired and not focusing as well as when I shot the first group at 100yds with the 300WBY.

Here is the 7mmSTW target

Here is the 22-250 target

Here is the 300WWBY target I got a close as I could so you could see it and the stain is from the wet board early in the morning.

Here is the 300WBY at 200yds

Yes, this was a good day.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

nice grouping, when I was younger I always wanted a 7mm STW... but then I noticed that Everybody had a 7mm here in NY so I opted for the .338 WinMag and really havenít looked back. That STW should be able to really reach out and touch things, whatís your max shooting distance with it, or havenít you tried that yet?
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    nice grouping, when I was younger I always wanted a 7mm STW... but then I noticed that Everybody had a 7mm here in NY so I opted for the .338 WinMag and really havenít looked back. That STW should be able to really reach out and touch things, whatís your max shooting distance with it, or havenít you tried that yet?
    With my 7mmSTW I have not tried to max out on targets to see but hit coyote at 426yds. The 300WBY I have hit now at 618yds.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thatís awesome with the 300, I am getting ready to order a 6.5mm Grendel for my long distance shooting. (fits nicely in my AR platform)
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by akula682 View Post
    Thatís awesome with the 300, I am getting ready to order a 6.5mm Grendel for my long distance shooting. (fits nicely in my AR platform)
    any 6.5 has great coeificent and really stands out at long distances. I am thinking of getting a 260 rem. just don't know what rifle to get it in.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Let me say concerning the Buckmaster Scopes on all three rifles. They are impressive for the money I spent. Now I like to shoot and I don't like a scope being a problem when I am working so hard on getting my loads just right. I will have to say that I shot a tigther group which you see on this thread than I did with the same load posted on another thread that was .334" using a Leupold VX-III Boone and Crockett. To be fair the Leupold was a 3.5-10x40mm and of course the Buckmaster was a 6-18x40mm SF BDC and I had better target picture with the Buckmaster and I know that is why I made an exagerated hole with three shots. But it really stood out at 200yds. This is good glass, easy to sight in, and tuly moves right where it is suppose to. I would recommend the Buckmaster scope to any of my friends. I can't wait to knock something dead this coming hunting season. This is going to be fun even if the target is far off. Great scopes.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice shooting. I've been trying to develop a 53 gr. TSX load for my 22-250 and haven't had any success. Got any suggestions on where to start. I determined my OAL with a Stony Point guage and followed the Barnes suggestions and I had no idea where shots 2 and 3 went.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer55 View Post
    Nice shooting. I've been trying to develop a 53 gr. TSX load for my 22-250 and haven't had any success. Got any suggestions on where to start. I determined my OAL with a Stony Point guage and followed the Barnes suggestions and I had no idea where shots 2 and 3 went.
    I used my magazine as the measuring tool of my OAL by making sure that my round just had enough room to work in the magazine with out catching or binding and it is working for me. Also IMR 4320 is working better for me. Start at 35.5 and work up at half gr steps and see if that helps.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS