Thread: Smoking bear hams?

Default Smoking bear hams?

i got some hams made up, didnt have em smoked though. I have a smoker and was going to try smoking one. Any good tips/recipes on how to go about doing it. like the best kind of wood chips, general smoking time and how much smoke?

Verlaskan,

We've done whole hams before, prior to jarring them in pressure cooker. We have a big open-air smoker setup so it's no problem to hang a ham above a cold alder fire. We used alder exclusively, smoked for a couple days before canning. I'm sure some other kind of preferred wood would work fine too. If I had it to do over I'd probably cut the ham in half so as to get the smoke flavor farther in. Sorry I can't offer more advice...good luck.

thanks, ill give it a whirl. i have one of those, tin box electric smokers. did you use a wood coals to smoke em?

Do you marinate them in anything before smoking?

Verlaskan, we used green alder to smoke the hams. First you get the fire going with dry alder, then keep adding green alder, mostly it was smallish stuff, one inch in diameter or so...just keep stuffing it in there as the others burn down. It doesn't really make much flame, mostly a cold smoke.

Hiline, didn't marinate them in anything.