Thread: Bearing buddies falling off?

Default Bearing buddies falling off?

Just replaced bearings, left room in grease cup and 1/2 way between Eagle River and Finger Lake my bearing buddy was gone, put a latex glove and duct tape on it went to Walmart in Wasilla replaced it and greased it and, when I left the 2nd bearing buddy was gone.
    Correct size, wonder if my hub is ok? Or loctite it on? Bearings were cool to touch, and not over greased? One side only keeps falling off, single axle trailer.

If you take bearing buddies off to do maintenance, you need to peen them with a sharp punch in a few places before re-installing them. The little fins that hold them on when new get smashed down on the first install. When you remove them and them put them back on, the tolerances are too great and they will vibrate off in short order sometimes. A couple peen marks around where they contact the hub before re-installing them usually does the trick.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If you take bearing buddies off to do maintenance, you need to peen them with a sharp punch in a few places before re-installing them. The little fins that hold them on when new get smashed down on the first install. When you remove them and them put them back on, the tolerances are too great and they will vibrate off in short order sometimes. A couple peen marks around where they contact the hub before re-installing them usually does the trick.
    I have had the same problem. ended up using rescue tape. Didn't have a punch at the time.

Peen on bearing buddy or the hub itself? The Walmart replacement was a Bearing Buddy clone. I do take them off frequently to replace grease.

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Peen on bearing buddy or the hub itself? The Walmart replacement was a Bearing Buddy clone. I do take them off frequently to replace grease.
    The outside flat edge of the bearing buddy where it mates up with the hub.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Sumpin's definitely wrong here. I've been using them for just over 50 years on a whole bunch of trailers, if my math is right. Take them off every year to change grease. And I've never lost one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sumpin's definitely wrong here. I've been using them for just over 50 years on a whole bunch of trailers, if my math is right. Take them off every year to change grease. And I've never lost one.
    I had a trailer with the same problem, caused a hub blowout, new hub they stay on just fine. Not hard to imagine getting one once in a while that is slightly larger than spec.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Great idea, thanks for sharing!

I had the same problem and the guys at six states told me to use black RVT and it seemed to work. Mine never fully came out but would start working thier way out on each trip and I would just pound them back in untill I used the RVT and then did not have a problem.