Thread: When do raspberries come up?

Default When do raspberries come up?

I inherited some "thornless" raspberry plants last spring from a friend who was moving, and quickly planted them in a hastily cleared plot on our new property just on the northern edge of Palmer while we were waiting for the house to be built. They grew pretty well last summer and produced a couple berries, and looked pretty healthy until the moose found them and trimmed them... I didn't mulch the plants over the winter, and now I'm worried that they may have all croaked.

Wild raspberries are pushing up in the powerline right-of-way, and cow parsnip is coming up as well (along with a host of other plants). But nothing in the berry bed.

I'm hesitant to dig around too much just yet, but I'm wondering if everyone else has new growth on their berries already? Or are we still early? When should I expect to know for sure?

Thanks!

--Stacy
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

It's still early for growth. Mine normally start mid/end of May to start greening up. The first plants to start coming up at my place are Iris's and they are only about an inch tall this morning. I think the light snowfall year has most of us thinking it's time to start growing, but really Memorial day is the normal start of the growing season.

May 18, 2013

Raspberries like sun and heat, did you put them in a warm sunny location? My raspberry plants have shoots up to an inch long and are beginning to open.

Am seeing some new growth on the cane too.
    Earlier than the norm , lov'n it

Talked to my mom today, and she's reporting new growth on hers in Wasilla... I planted these adjacent to a powerline easement with woods on two sides. They are getting a lot of sun in their locale, but is it enough to do the trick? Can't imagine every single one would have died (or at least I hope not), so I'll give them some more time. Thanks for the thoughts!
    Palmer, Alaska

That variety may just start later than the wild varieties, being a hybrid and all. Oh BTW, if you really want to know if they made it through alive, you can prune the top, or scratch the side of a cane with your finger nail, and look for "green" , cropping the top will only promote growth and allow for more production, if the moose did not do that for you.

I agree with the others it is too early to get worried about them. Odds are even if the canes died they will grow back from the roots.

I had some thornless ones , years back.
    over time & some harsh winters, they died off.

This past winter was a good one for mine (purple with thorns ),
    I see lots of sprouting up the cane.
    Should be tons of berries this year.

Yeah! Seems the last couple warm days came through for us. A check of the berry patch this evening showed several new berry shoots poking up within a few inches of a couple of the the main stalks. Looks like all was not lost. Now to improve the bed and get it fenced before the moose return for a follow-up meal...

--Stacy
    Palmer, Alaska

I too have the thorny purple (red) and altho I don't see any new growth coming up yet, but the canes are waking up and the leaves are popping out, Everything is looking healthy. I hope we do have a good year. The jam/jelly locker is looking a little bare.