Thread: Looking for a couple of Breeds?

Default Looking for a couple of Breeds?

Hey all,
    The family (wife and me) has decided we finally get around to a new addition to the family. We have narrowed it down to a Deutsch Drahthaar or Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. First question: why choose one over the other?
    Second question: any breeders of either in AK. I'm pretty sure there are no WPG breeders but I've hear rumors of DD breeders. I thought at one time 2jumpersplease was gonna do it. Anyone know if this happened.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    John

Default Drahthaars

John,where are you located? It seems like it would be best to meet some dogs and see what you like. I think seeing how the dogs operate at home and when hunting are the two most important things, especially if you haven't had experience with pointing dogs before. I am planning a second litter soon or next winter depending on interest. If you are in Fairbanks you are welcome to come meet my dogs, I have 3 now. A friend of mine has two great wirehaired pointing griffons as well. Send a pm if you want to talk more about dogs.-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 2jumpersplease View Post
    John,where are you located? It seems like it would be best to meet some dogs and see what you like. I think seeing how the dogs operate at home and when hunting are the two most important things, especially if you haven't had experience with pointing dogs before. I am planning a second litter soon or next winter depending on interest. If you are in Fairbanks you are welcome to come meet my dogs, I have 3 now. A friend of mine has two great wirehaired pointing griffons as well. Send a pm if you want to talk more about dogs.-Tom
    Good advice here...I think you would do well with either breed. I have been owned by a griffon and loved it! I have known, trained with and hunted with friends with drahthars. Again, a good bird dog breed. I have also had Brittany, Weimaraner, Chesapeake, and hunted over several other breeds. What it boils down to is personal choice.
    If you are not near Fairbanks and 2jumperplease, there are examples of both breeds in anchorage/Wasilla area for you to meet. Arctic Bird Dog Association (ABDA) is a starting point to find these folks. They have a fun day coming up and there is a good chance you could meet some dogs and their owners there. There are others not in ABDA too.
    It is a lifetime (of the dog at least) commitment so taking your time and doing the research is worth it to find the right match for you and your family...current and potential others if children are in the future.
    If you want a vote one way or the other .... I will be looking to return to the Griffon when my 13 year old Brittany retires. But that is just one vote.
    Good luck with the search and you can't go wrong with either breed.

I forgot to say that I am not familiar with any Alaska "breeders" of either breed. I know there are folks out there that have litters occasionally. It sounds like 2jumpersplease may be a good one to be in touch with for the drahthars.

Also, if you get to connect with the ABDA group they have some experienced dog owners who can help with the training process. They also will know the breeders they have worked with.

Good friend of mine got a Draht pup this past winter. Very nice dog! Came from Lower 48. Training is going along quite easily. He is questing for birds, holding point and loves to retrieve. We will spend the summer refining his natural traits and this fall making him into a fine bird dog. Very nice dogs. Best of luck in your search and the grand adventure beyond.

It's been a while since I've been on, Thanks for the info all. I think I'll start with 2jumperplease and see where that takes me.
    Henry Bowman for President