Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bishop Creek in Nikiski. Anyone float it?

Default Bishop Creek in Nikiski. Anyone float it?

I know of a couple who went down Bishop in a canoe years ago. Said the trout fishing was phenomenal. Just wondering if anyone has floated it lately in a kayak or canoe. Pretty sure the lower couple of miles will have it's share of log crossings. Wondering if it would be advisable to try. Inner tube instead of kayak maybe? About a 7 mile float.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Can I redact the "fishing was phenomenal" phrase from your post before this little treasure gets totally mobbed like Kasilof Beach was?
    I have heard of this being done, but it is a hard float. Keep in mind there are dates you can fish within.

Google has killed more good fishing holes than TNT.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Can I redact the "fishing was phenomenal" phrase from your post before this little treasure gets totally mobbed like Kasilof Beach was?
    I have heard of this being done, but it is a hard float. Keep in mind there are dates you can fish within.
    Maybe the 'crowds' will cut a path through the blow down. Bring a chain saw, weekend warriors.

for a float tube it would be a little long , but it can be dun [ long day ] Kayak would be a greet a short canoe OK but a long one can be dun
    [ I have dun it a few times ] lots of fish do check the regs, SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    for a float tube it would be a little long , but it can be dun [ long day ] Kayak would be a greet a short canoe OK but a long one can be dun
    [ I have dun it a few times ] lots of fish do check the regs, SID
    Wondering how many log crossings there are to deal with after the big blow we had in November 2012.

can't tell till somw one goes down the stream this year for the 1st time of the year an is willing to give the information out
    give it a try what can you loose time a get wet an carry/drag your boat a little SID
    PS it is an outing an catch some fish what else do you want for a day

Oh, and the fishing was actually only so-so. The bugs were bad. The bears were nasty/cranky. Fish & Game was on the scene checking licenses. The water was running upstream causing them to paddle extra hard. Probably best for most folks to avoid the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Oh, and the fishing was actually only so-so. The bugs were bad. The bears were nasty/cranky. Fish & Game was on the scene checking licenses. The water was running upstream causing them to paddle extra hard. Probably best for most folks to avoid the hassle.
    Thank you, but too little, too late. I saw 40 Anchorage vehicles with canoes headed out the north road this morning.

Thank you, but too little, too late. I saw 40 Anchorage vehicles with canoes headed out the north road this morning.
    ....Carrying dipnets.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

yes there is now 80 cars there , I was showing them where to park, just remember the fish an game belong's to every one not just a few

Just remember the fish and game belongs to every one not just a few
    Yes, but until Les Anderson caught the World record king salmon on the Kenai few in the L48 knew where the Kenai river was.
    Now 30 years later look at what the Kenai has become and where those precious king salmon are numbers wise? Yes they are almost gone and the season to catch them is closed. On top of that hundreds of setnetters are not able to fish even though there target species is in abundance.
    Sometimes keeping ones mouth shut on a good spot keeps that spot from being overrun and ultimately being closed to fishing or worse yet destroyed all together.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    ....Carrying dipnets.....
    ....and chainsaws, hopefully.

just remember the fish an game belong's to every one not just a few
    Yeah, that's why God put fish up around Anchorage too...
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    ....and chainsaws, hopefully.
    Los Anchoraguans with...Chainsaws?

Doubtful they'll have long enough extension cords.....

Google has killed more good fishing holes than TNT.....
    And sharing info has also created more conservationists than I can count. A person has a magical experience on the water, comes to understand the value of wild places, and in turn works to protect and preserve the places that we all care about. Sharing info is a double edged sword, no doubt - but there is a lot of good that comes with sharing info. Or, at least there can be...

Bishop Creek is a narrow, twisty little body of water that is bordered by a lot of private property and bog. Additionally, as mentioned, there is a plenty of deadfall to deal with. The stream is closed to fishing until 2nd week of June, IIRC. The mouth is always closed to fishing. It is a stream that has long been a favorite of Nikiski folks and, to my knowledge, has never been heavily fished by others... which is good because it can't stand much pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And sharing info has also created more conservationists than I can count. A person has a magical experience on the water, comes to understand the value of wild places, and in turn works to protect and preserve the places that we all care about. Sharing info is a double edged sword, no doubt - but there is a lot of good that comes with sharing info. Or, at least there can be...
    I agree, sharing info is beneficial to carrying on the traditions we all cherish.

Sharing information about areas less traveled, and likely heretofore unknown to many, on the internet can, in many cases, have serious ramifications. I've shared a ton of info on this site, some publicly, the majority of it via PM, phone, or in person.

I get that this site really wants traffic, and if we could all (except the hunt planner) broadcast our favorite, most productive, off-the-beaten-path honey holes to the masses, no doubt it'd be appreciated....

[/sarcasm]

I agree, sharing info is beneficial to carrying on the traditions we all cherish... I've shared a ton of info on this site, some publicly, the majority of it via PM, phone, or in person.
    It's true! Hippie and I have not always had the most cordial of internet interaction, but he shared some info with me in a PM long ago that was beneficial. So have you Brian.
    SmokeRoss- not faulting you, but just saying that on a site this big with a bunch of people always looking for a new experience, even if you just ask a question, a hundred plus computers go on Google Earth mode. All of a sudden the obscure becomes everybody's knowledge. Some areas can stand such pressure, some cannot. That is the blessing and curse of the web.

just remember it is OUR FISH not YOUR fish the resores belongs to every one, even out of state people , it is our fishing stream not your fishing stream , as for the Kenai river there are a lot of people on the K.P that make good money there. SID

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast