Thread: Considering a 1996 2452 Cierra Express

Default Considering a 1996 2452 Cierra Express

Just curious to hear from owners in Alaska on how they like this boat in this vintage? I'm aware it has wood stringers and would have a full survey completed before purchase. I have not looked at the boat, heard about it word of mouth, don't have detailed specs yet. Owner is a heavy equipment operator/owner that I know fairly well and all his equipment I've seen is well maintained, we'll see if the boat is...

My use would mainly be the wife, me and the dogs for weekend trips to Homer/Seward and PWS. I really like the camper on the water design of this boat, we'll be fishing and I know the rear deck is small and not optimal for fishing but I want the wife to be comfortable. If it was just me I'd be buying a Parker with a 10' deck but its not...

I've been reading threads on a few forums (bayliner owners, hull truth, Iboats) and it seems they are 50/50 on seaworthiness of this boat in any kind of weather and 50/50 on the odds of the boat falling apart and sinking on the 2nd trip out. Hoping some thoughts from locals would be a little more helpful!

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

I have a 1993 2452. Repossessed from the original owner, sold to a guy in Anchorage who towed it to AK from WA, then I bought it in 2001 and used it every season since. They're like many other boats. Generally, the more a boat costs the better built it is and the more bells and whistles. The only major change I've made is to replace the engine. It came way underpowered with a 2-barrel, 190 HP engine and I put in a 4-barrel, 250 HP engine. Made a world of difference. Other than that I've just taken very good care of it. The structure is fine. Lots of Bayliners out on the water (as opposed to under the water). Same Mercruiser engine and outdrive and other parts as most other boats out there. Most people who badmouth Bayliners are people who have never had one. Would I rather have a different boat? Sure. Aluminum with two big twins. But every time I go to boat shows and look at the prices (and monthly payments for 20 years as shown on the price tags) I'm reminded of how I'm just fine with what I have. Get a survey as you should with any boat that you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I have a 1993 2452. Repossessed from the original owner, sold to a guy in Anchorage who towed it to AK from WA, then I bought it in 2001 and used it every season since. They're like many other boats. Generally, the more a boat costs the better built it is and the more bells and whistles. The only major change I've made is to replace the engine. It came way underpowered with a 2-barrel, 190 HP engine and I put in a 4-barrel, 250 HP engine. Made a world of difference. Other than that I've just taken very good care of it. The structure is fine. Lots of Bayliners out on the water (as opposed to under the water). Same Mercruiser engine and outdrive and other parts as most other boats out there. Most people who badmouth Bayliners are people who have never had one. Would I rather have a different boat? Sure. Aluminum with two big twins. But every time I go to boat shows and look at the prices (and monthly payments for 20 years as shown on the price tags) I'm reminded of how I'm just fine with what I have. Get a survey as you should with any boat that you buy.
    I really appreciate the reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2000. I had a 1993 Trophy 2002 WA but the wife wanted the installed head so I upgraded. They are great boats. Warmer than aluminium boats and quieter (as in the water on the hull). Some downsides,
    Only two seats in the cockpit. The hoses for the head can absorb poo smells when they get older (well this is true for all heads) But spraying them with NoFlex digestor takes care of that. They don't have a generator so you have to carry a portable one to run the microwave. It should have an electric/alcohol stove. Wife loves ours. And of course the dreaded engine hump on the rear deck.

Bayliners make the absolute best use of interior space. The 2452 does not have a cored hull, just layered glass. You can beach them you just have to be careful where. But again that is true with most boats.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have a seen a lot of very very clean 2452 Cierras for about $15k. They are great for what you describe. But the competition is the bigger 2859 which people really really like. Both are great Alaskan boats. The 2452s almost always have a canvas instead of a bulkhead. A few people who have bought 2452s step up to the 2859. 2859s can be had for $25-$35 and still be clean. Newer ones and ones with new repower 383/6.0 or 592s seem to be $45. But those are on the boarderline of being untrailerable where the 2452s are 100% trailerable.

If the boat you are looking at is super clean, then I'd say go for it!

Sobie2

Yup, and 2859's also use twice as much fuel.... and have the same size fuel tanks.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1