Thread: Early season Homer halibut?

Default Early season Homer halibut?

Thinking about taking advantage of the good forecast this weekend and going fishing. Have had decent success for kings recently but have never really done much halibut fishing this time of year. Is there anywhere in particular I would have a good chance of dropping the anchor and catching some halibut if I launch in Homer?

Thanks!

Boy, if Homer is like it is over here this year, keep an open mind. A few days back we trolled up a fat 30# model in 20' of water! Yesterday we got a couple in the high teens/low 20's in 30'. There was bait around, so maybe they swam up shallow chasing it. Dunno, but with them in the freezer I haven't been inclined to go exploring deeper. Really nice firm fish BTW, zero signs of mushiness.

The compass rose area is usually a safe bet this time of year. The areas by Anchor Point which have kings should also have some halibut.

We've been getting lots of halibut trolling off the bluff, green cabin area to the south marker. No doubt they could be had if you anchor, but as far as I'm concerned halibut are just bycatch when I'm trolling kings...😜😜
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave! You sound like a trawler!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBayes View Post
    Dave! You sound like a trawler!
    Nah, he just understands that a saltwater king tastes a whole lot better than halibut and fishes accordingly.

Friends really wanted flat fish so we drove West and set up in 110 feet near a drop off to 150 and caught halibut and then finished up the day with a quick troll at the bluff for a nice king. Thanks!