Thread: ds125 gmu 14c sheep hunt.

Default ds125 gmu 14c sheep hunt.

Has anyone out there drawn this hunt before? I'm looking for info on access. I've looked at plenty of maps and I only see two ways in. One via eklutna lake, up and over or up hunters creek. I've talked to a few people and from what I've herd hunters creek is tough access because of private property. I've also thought about an air taxi but the couple I've talked to said there's no where to touch down up there. Any information would help, this is a one in a lifetime draw and I want to do everything i can to make it a successful one. Thanks and happy hunting.

My firsthand knowledge of that area is limited , but I have planned for this hunt a time or two, and hunted sheep nearby. Pretty sure you could get an air taxi on floats to put you in at Lake George. You could get there on foot from Eklutna Lake, but that would be a few extra miles, and kinda steep too! Try crossing along the south side of the basin located ~1 mile south of Bold peak. It would be worth your while to make a scouting trip first.
    I have to ask, have you gone after Dall sheep or goats before?

This will be my first, I know it's going to be grueling and tough work but that's what I singed up for.

I hunted one of these tags last year. I searched long and hard for good access, and had access to an airplane for assistance there. The only thing that was really doable was to go in from Eklutna. We biked in to the Bold trailhead and hiked up and over from there.

You could land a plane on wheels in a ton of spots on the backside by Lake George, but getting across the river is challenge number one, then it would be a very steep climb up. Assuming you could get to the top, the other side is crags and glaciers. I wanted that to work so bad, but just couldn't see how to do it.

I didn't hike up Hunter Creek because the higher concentration of sheep were in the head of the west fork. Eklutna was the shorter route, and didn't require any bushwhacking.

I'll try to PM you with my number,you can give me a call if you have any questions. I got quite a bit of intel from previous hunters, and wouldn't mind passing on the favor.

***Edit: I can't PM you. Send me an email: uoadiscount (AT) gmail (DOT) com

I used to always go into Hunter for spring black bear. I have hunted and guided sheep there also. There is one airstrip that we renovated near the glacier that was out of the park but it probably requires a great cub pilot and more rejuvenation. I tried the old trail in a few years ago (and yes it did require crossing a bit of private land) and found it much more difficult to locate and walk than it used to be. Locals love to cut trees down across the trail. However there is a new trail that has been cut up and over the ridge that you could probably access. Another is to land on the Knik and walk up into a pass that leads into Hunter. The guide I worked for had a couple of clients go in that way. Message me or give me a call at 333-2708.