Thread: Eagle River Kings

Default Eagle River Kings

Who fishs for kings out of Eagle River? I live within walking distance from the river, in a legal spot, and have seen a good number of these buggers rolling. I have fished it a few times with not much luck. The water is so silty I doubt these fish can see anything past their noses.

I have tried bait, yarn, spoons, spinners, and flys. No luck. :-/ I catch more snags than anything

Do mean that you've seen them rolling already this spring, or in years past? I live nearby too, but haven't given this fishery a try yet. I know they pull some big ones out of there from time to time, though.

-Brian

Default ER

Past summers I have seen them a rolling, I havnt checked it out this year. Usually atleast 1 a minute. Near the old dual bridges I watched a guy pull a nice ole king out of there about 100 yards up from the north bound bridge. I was guessing about 40lbs.

Default kings

Know that there are only certain times of the year (only certain weekends, actually) when you can fish Eagle River.

If I remember right the regs say its Sat,Sun & Mon after Memorial day weekend for 8 weeks.

Default Double Checked

Its 4 weeks not 8

I walked down the Eagle River tonight with my daugther to check out the situation. I didnt see a fish in the half hour we spent under nieth the hiland bridge. Usually when the Kings are running you will see them roll now and then.

I say another two weeks and there will be enough to possibly catch one.

I haven't been down to the banks yet, but driving over the bridge every morning I've noticed that the water is still awfully low. That'll probably change with this warmer weather increasing snow melt, but still... It's a double-edged sword, I guess. With the lower water there is also better visibility - both for the fish and the fisherman - but it seems like it might keep the fish from moving up river.

Keep the updates coming. I've lived in Eagle River my whole life, yet haven't ever fished it. I think I'm going to have to change that this year.

-Brian

Ditto on that B_M, since it's basically right down the street from me I may have to give it a go as well. I'll keep my eyes on this thread.

I went down to the river tonight with my neighbor. We took light gear and tried our hand at catching some dollies. The dollies were jumping but none hit our lines. We spent more time killing misquitos than anything.

Well Gremlin, do you have a more recent report? I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it down there this weekend, but I still like the idea of trying my local waters. Any luck?

-Brian

Default Last weekend was a no go :-/

I was busy all weekend. I tried to make a conscience effort to head down to the river on monday night but I was exhausted to the bone. I will be down there this weekend for sure! Does anyone live on W Parkview Terrace Rd? Or are you guys more towards Alpenglow?

I would really like to see Eagle River open to King fishing all throughout the week. The river does not recieve a high amount of fishing traffic, even on the weekend. I suppose its something I will just have to live with.

I live above Lower Fire Lake off of Fish Hatchery road so i'm not to far from the river. I'm going after bears this weekend so I can't make it out there, if you guys go, good luck to ya!

I'm not right next to the river either, but it's less than 5 minutes away.

I'm hoping to chase bears Friday night, mt. biking on Saturday, so maybe Sunday or Monday. Either way, I'd appreciate any reports!

-Brian

Thumbs up B_M, WaterGremlin

Hey guys, just heard a report that the kings are in Eagle River, might be worth a look this weekend.

Thats good news!!!! If I get skunked down in Seward I always have good ole Eagle River Saturday, Sunday, and Monday night.

I have a case of old milwaukee's best if anyone wants to join me. :-)

LIke a dumb***** i sold all my king gear, i'm going to have to go get some new gear I guess! The wife might want to go down and give it a try with her fly rod, now that would be fun to watch!!

Default Slow

I went down to Eagle River Saturday night. Discouragement set in and I didnt fish very long. About an hour or so. I lost a few hooks and went home. I didnt see anything roll and watched 3 other people fish with no luck.

Question What are people using

What kind of set up are people using to fish Eagle river. I stopped by there Saturday. No one was fishing but the river was moving way too fast. I would like some input as to what folks might be catching them on. Any suggestions????

I have been using a single hook with yarn. To sink it I use one large split shot. I prefer orange yarn, but I use a florscent yellow at Eagle River so hopfully the fish see the yellow better in the thick silty water.

No luck tonight, didnt even see one roll.