Thread: New to inflatables...looking for suggestions

Default New to inflatables...looking for suggestions

After purchasing a canoe and realizing that canoes, just weren't for me...I bought a 13' achilles inflatable with 25hp for getting around this summer and moose season. I'm looking at seats and what not. Any suggestions for either bench or something to place on the floor?
    Any other accessories that you experienced guys think I should strongly consider getting?
    I'm researching rowing platforms right now.

purpose:
    Mainly for moose hunting. Possibly to check net. Occasionally taking family out on a lake (plan to buy larger more rigid boat with jet for family adventures, but that will take a year or so).

My moose hunting trips are short, b/c of my profession.

Rowing platforms for your boat are a great Idea.
    you can incorporate your bench seats into the frame doing what you are entertaining already about seating.
    A standard Big horn style is really inexpensive, you need your two yokes or clip risers , and two anodized 1 1/4 inch Aluminum pipe aprox 5 to 6 ft long
    and two boards, I use 1nch thick marine grade plywood 12 inch wide for the bench seats.
    just drill and bolt using 8each, lag bolts with the smooth rounded head ending up against the boat so you don't puncture them, and some nylock nuts on the pipes. I always cut the remaining bolts extending out of the nut off with a hack saw, and then file them smooth so you don't get cut or sratched or even hung up on them. and you have a nice couple of bench seats and your rowing fram you can strap to your boat, you may have to glue on a few D rings to put a good strapdown on the frame from 4 points. each corner.
    the Oars need to be 7 to 8 footers and of decent quality.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Especially with an outboard, I'm real fond of small ice chests and assorted lockers for "seats" in an Achilles. Ours had bench seats, but it took about two trips for me to convert them to firewood. Storage space and organizing space is at a premium in inflatables, plus those miserable benches are always in the way, especially with moose bodies aboard. Even if you leave it empty, an ice chest is a great seat. But I bet you find lots of ways to fill it and keep loose gear out of the way! In fact, you'll probably be buying more after you use the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Especially with an outboard, I'm real fond of small ice chests and assorted lockers for "seats" in an Achilles. Ours had bench seats, but it took about two trips for me to convert them to firewood. Storage space and organizing space is at a premium in inflatables, plus those miserable benches are always in the way, especially with moose bodies aboard. Even if you leave it empty, an ice chest is a great seat. But I bet you find lots of ways to fill it and keep loose gear out of the way! In fact, you'll probably be buying more after you use the first one.

I like the ice chest idea...I think my problem is solved

I still want to build a rowing platform, but for now, the ice chest will be the way to go.

Rowing pedestals can also be installed without a Frame.
    and work really well.
    I have some on a few of my inflatable sports type boats.
    These are Glued on fittings that accept a rowing yoke setup.
    and it is easy to remove the yoke stands if you are not in a rowing mood or venue.
    One reason I use Inflatable Sport type boats is because of the versatility.
    keeping an open mind and exploring your own ideas can really work well, or not.
    but you never know until you try.
    Room is always a premium in most sport boats due to the space consumed by the tubes.
    I have used the Rowing frames on skinny river trips where I run up a small river several miles and then
    kick the motor up and row the boat down river quietly in the evenings calling for Moose as I go.
    Frames also are useful in being able to put Tarpalines tied from the Frame and seats to the rings and rope on the outside of the boat.
    so you can carry a heavy moose out without just putting it on the floor of the boat.
    Once we built a small 8 foot tower on the Frame using fittings and aluminum pipe. Able to use the platform to get some elevation looking over the high banks that you find on many of the Rivers that can be floated and or motor on .
    I always carry a inflatable sport boat on my larger aluminum boats because not one boat does it all. I find myself on every expedition using the sport boat a lot more than my bigger boats while in the field.
    I bring along 3 or 4 larger dry bags and put a spike camp in the bags, and then head out looking for game, oft times I end up spike camping up some small creek of slew.
    Enjoy your inflatable sport boat and let your imagination soar..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com