Thread: 3 days in northern pws

Default 3 days in northern pws

26-28 April shrimping/bear hunting trip. Lots of shrimp. No bears seen anywhere, no tracks on snow or beach, not much green stuff (grass) near the beach for bear forage. No gunshots heard, no word back at the Whittier dock of any bears taken. Maybe they are still denned up?
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    26-28 April shrimping/bear hunting trip. Lots of shrimp. No bears seen anywhere, no tracks on snow or beach, not much green stuff (grass) near the beach for bear forage. No gunshots heard, no word back at the Whittier dock of any bears taken. Maybe they are still denned up?
    It does seem a bit early for them. Couple of weeks and some boars ought to be findable.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

The Bears Ive seen lately didnt rank among those I would care to catch..... seems they have had a lean cold winter here or Im just seeing young ones.... One sow with a cub was ginormus, so they arnt all doing so bad.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mkay View Post
    Correct, its still very early.
    Gets better towards mid May to the end of May, reardless of the weather. They seem to emerge about the same time every year.
    This year, look high as they will have forage outside the den and won't be forced down low to find green grasses.
    Bk

I'll second the OP comments. Spent last Sunday thru Tuesday (4/26-28) in / around Kings Bay and points between there and Whittier. Saw one large bear up high closer in to Whittier and tried for him Tuesday afternoon, but alas, after 1000 foot hike up thru the 'stuff' he was nowhere to be found. Didn't see any signs of them on beaches. Shoots just starting to poke thru down low and the buds are starting on the undergrowth, so within the next couple weeks, they'll be more difficult to see unless they are down on the beaches. Good luck to everyone heading out.

Just spent the week out there and took the only bear we saw. Everything's greening up and skunk cabbage is everywhere should be more bears out any day now.

I seen two personally the last saturday of april. Few sets of tracks. Tracks are harder to see since snow is sluffing pretty bad and pretty thin. They are out. Stay n glass, have good glass thats very important. Cheap glass won't get ya very far. Spend time behind the glass! They were and from what I hear, are still hanging high. One we saw was very doable but heard us from the boat. Other was pinned in a spot that was not gonna happen! I was out of whittier.

Just returned from a 3 day trip (plus one half day). Saw one bear... which was a very nice boar about 1/2 mile from the boat. He was on the beach - for about 30 seconds, then disappeared into the timber and never returned. We sat on the beach for 4 hours waiting for him to come out but he never did. Saw a buck blacktail as well, which was fun (he walked about 30 yds from me).

There is very little snow - and LOTS of food for them in the timber, as a few hikes into the hills indicated. We glassed high, we glassed low.. we glassed and glassed and glassed - and no bears. At least not where we were. We saw no tracks in mud, no tracks on the beach, no indication even that they were even around.

Hopefully others are having better luck!
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Going to try this weekend, report when I return.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

5 days in northern PWS and 3 bears up high, 2 up at the back of Siwash cove eating green stuff on a steep slope. None on the beach, lots of green stuff on the beach to include skunk cabbage and grass. Shrimping much better. Trip 9-14 May. Anecdotal stuff; no deer seen at all, no tracks. Maybe the dumb beach bears have been selected for extinction, the smart mountain bears continue to live. Over a few... ok, a lot of cocktails one evening we concluded that the big massive snow of 2012? killed a lot of black bears in dens. More anecdotal, in the old days, ( 10 years ago) the bears seemed dumb and would ignore engine noise.

Just returned rom 3 day trip, no bear sightings and almost no sign on the beach. Might be a tough year as its getting green way up high already.
    Good luck to all, heading out again Thursday.
    Bk

Got back yesterday afternoon, went out Wednesday evening. Saw 6 bears! (2 sows w 2 Cubs each). Way up high both about 500 yards apart on the same hillside.

Default Found one

Took a boar in ester passage on the 7th rain was coming down pretty good, only bear we saw, he was up not way up but a good steep climb. Looked like there was plenty for em to eat in the brush, be harder to see them in there about now. Hope others find as good of time as I had, happy hunting.

Default There they are

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...1&d=1431828610

Look real close and you can see 2 bears midway up the mtn at the back of Siwash......I said real, real close.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We hunted the 9th-16th. Saw fourteen bears, got two of them. Last few days they were moving up the mountain sides pretty high. First few days everything we saw was down low. Shrimping was good to us too.

Spent long weekend out on the sound looking for a bear, did not see any. Hiked up the mountain in Swiash cove and the fame trails have grass growing in them. Then Hiked up to Schrode Lake and nothing. No tracks no poop, no sign... Oh well maybe next year.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Was out for four days this past weekend wasn't really looking for bears but we seen four of them and came home with two. I finally got to shoot the bigger one than my wife, mine was 16" and hers was 15 1/16". We were in Port wells

The PWS bear hunting for us a was bit slow. We saw two bears. One 6 foot blackie and an 8 foot brownie. Both came home in game bags.