Thread: Early Middle Kenai Reds?

Default Early Middle Kenai Reds?

Okay folks, I feel like I should know the answer to this question, but I don't, so I'll ask. Any replies or PMs are truly appreciated. I've spent years fishing reds on the upper Kenai and Russian, but never on the middle (Lower Skilak to Bings). My question is how early can one find fishable numbers in that section of river? Granted, no two years are the same, but for the past several years the first sockeye to hit the Russian weir is between June 5-9. The travel time for these fish from the salt to the weir is about 7-10 days. That would mean that fish are in the lower/middle Kenai in late May. My wife and I would love to give it go in late May or first week of June if it makes sense to do so. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Scott

Well, the problem is, chasing first run sockeye down in the middle is like finding a needle in a haystack. The entire Russian River early run last year was 44,000. Trying to find these fish in the Middle when the schools are broken up into very small groups can be tough. Daily sockeye counts in the Middle during second run are larger then the entire first run. Also, first run sockeye tend to haul butt up the Kenai, which makes it more difficult since they don't loiter in the pools and eddies like second run. With that said, I would try Bings in the first few days of June. I've caught them there in the past during first run.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Excellent points, thank!