Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brenneke slug use?

Default Brenneke slug use?

For years I have read and heard the 600 grain 3" Magnum Breeneke 12 gauge slug is the best slug for deep penetration on really big critters. If any of you have shot any critters with this slug I would appreciate hearing the gory details if you have time to share them.

Where I spent my younger years, only shotgun hunting was allowed. We all tried a wide variety of slugs through our guns and to this day everyone I know back home uses Brenneke slugs because of their accuracy and penetration. They will go straight through a 250 pound whitetail, both shoulders, ribs and all and still be in one piece.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

The 2 3/4 black magic slug will clean go thru a 1 foot diameter birch log...no innocent trees were killed in said demonstration, but a very impressive slug for sure. no actual hunting kills with it, but I'd say it's more than adequate for Alaska.

I personally know a Forest Service biologist that had to stop a charging brown bear and used one successfully to accomplish that task. Jim

I have taken the Shotgun Bear Safety class for the Dept of the Interior and we used Remington 870s shooting Brenneke slugs.

Sobie2

I clanked a handful of deer with them, rather than just load them in a gun for "bear protection" with no experience. All shots inside 50 yards, and all landed where I wanted them. Accurate on paper and in the field, for sure. What can you say about dead deer? Same size holes going in and out, and very dead deer!

Ive only shot black bear with the 2 3/4 and it has put big holes and smacks them hard . I am impressed with brennekke

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A friend showed me a Breneke slug that was essentially undamaged, cept without the wadding behind it.

He killed a moose with it. Said it went through one side of the rib cage, and stopped against the other.

That doesn't sound like the kinda terminal performance I'd want for a bear.

Smitty of the Norh
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

That used to be our departmental issue slug before I retired from Law dawging. There was a bunch of research put into that choice. They are the best slug out there.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It sounds a though the slug will go through 2' of moose, that should reach the vitals of a chest or lung shot bear. I like penetration, but a big 12 bore hole makes up for a little less penetration, as long as it reaches the vitals.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Said it went through one side of the rib cage, and stopped against the other.
    At what distance, and how many trees did it have to punch through first?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Never shot a bear with one but I grew up in a shotgun only state for deer and I used that exact slug from the time I was about 13 till 18 when I switched over to a knight muzzleloader for more range. They're accurate for a shotgun slug (I could keep them on a paper plate at 100 yards), and on deer they were nasty, first doe I ever shot with one was hit at about 30 yards and the only thing holding the off side front leg on was about a half inch strip of hide. Another time a buddy made a Texas heart shot on a doe and it looked like someone tried to use a chainsaw to butterfly fillet the rear quarters from the top down.

The 1 1/8oz Classic Magnum is our issue slug. I have a few kills with it and I don't have a problem crawling around in the alder bushes when necessary.

We've discussed the Black Magic and Special Forces slug, but until the original fails to do the job, there's no need to replace it. We also prefer to stick with the 2 3/4 shells. Several years ago in a training environment, I had a 3" shell hang up in the gun when I fired and tried to shuck the empty out. It was a true hang up not due to short stroking the gun and required surgery with a Benchmade blade to clear. I'm not about to trust 3" shells for a dedicated life-saving gun.

About three years ago, a 9 footer decided it would be a good idea to stick his head through an apartment window that was too small to crawl through and the occupant unleashed a Brenneke Original Classic Magnum from a 20ga. The bear ran off and was found by one of our guys traveling in the other direction about a half-mile away. Noticing the bloody cookie-cutter hole under the eye, he ended the chase with a 405 gr Cast Performance from a .45-70.

Anyways this was a big bear. His head was like a beach ball. When we skinned him out we found the slug had entered under the left eye cutting a nice cookie-cutter hole and wound channel, and traveled along the meaty part of the head coming to rest under the the hide at the back of the head. The only reason we didn't have to use a Come-Along to winch him out the window was because it missed vital organs and bone structure of the skull.

The slug was still intact, slightly flared at the front with the felt/cardboard wad still attached to the rear. As near as we could tell, the slug tracked straight from point of impact to where it come to rest.

That was the only Brenneke we ever recovered. All the others whistled right through.
    Now what ?

I too think think 2 3/4 inch slug is a better choice for pump and semi autos. I'm going to stuff the 3 inch ones in a 12 gauge double and hope I never am forced into using them. I recently bought this double for my upcoming jaunt through Canada as my old 870, in it's current configuration, isn't socially acceptable in their country.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    At what distance, and how many trees did it have to punch through first?
    He didn't say. Apparently, there were no extenuating circumstances.

He very knowledgeable gun guy with wide experience. I had mentioned breneke slugs and he told me, then took the spent slug from his shooting box.

He said, "It killed the moose" in such a manner, that, I gathered, he was puzzled why there wasn't more penetration.

My question is, will a 12 GA Breneke slug, or any slug, penetrate, and break the shoulders of a beeg ole bear?

Bout all I know about slugs, is the recoil is HORRENDEOUS. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but isn't this thread about whether these slugs are really what they're cracked up to be? Could it be they are overrated for the purpose of killing bears.

Do they offer any advantage over a 30-06 with a 20" barrel' or other rifles? (My 7x57 with Iron Sights??????)

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    It sounds a though the slug will go through 2' of moose, that should reach the vitals of a chest or lung shot bear. I like penetration, but a big 12 bore hole makes up for a little less penetration, as long as it reaches the vitals.
    Yeah, I spose you could look at it that way.
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    He didn't say. Apparently, there were no extenuating circumstances.

He very knowledgeable gun guy with wide experience. I had mentioned breneke slugs and he told me, then took the spent slug from his shooting box.

He said, "It killed the moose" in such a manner, that, I gathered, he was puzzled why there wasn't more penetration.

My question is, will a 12 GA Breneke slug, or any slug, penetrate, and break the shoulders of a beeg ole bear?

Bout all I know about slugs, is the recoil is HORRENDEOUS. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but isn't this thread about whether these slugs are really what they're cracked up to be? Could it be they are overrated for the purpose of killing bears.

Do they offer any advantage over a 30-06 with a 20" barrel' or other rifles? (My 7x57 with Iron Sights??????)

SOTN
    I suppose "overrated" is subjective. All I know is if I'm in the field and feel compelled to carry something for bear protection, my first choice is a pump gun with Brenneke slugs. Lots of extenuating circumstances might modify my choice toward a different gun/caliber/load, but my first choice is my shotgun and Brenneke slugs. If I felt it wasn't superior to all my other options, it wouldn't be my first choice. You are free to choose whatever gun/load you wish. I'll take the Brennekes.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have only shot one brown bear that was about 30' away, she was an old sow and the 250 grain Barnes X blew through a shoulder and out the flank on the other side. I was aiming for her chest, but that was the best I could do at the time. Many of you have skinned out a few brown bears. On average is a big brown bear shoulder bone and scapula more dense, thick or what ever then a big bull moose? I appreciate all of your thoughts and opinions and just for the record, I would take my 250 grain X bullet out of my .338 Win. Mag. over a Breeneke if I was hunting bears. I also think that Barnes X bullet will punch through the far side hide easier then a big shot gun slug due to it's design. Good shooting guys!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    ...Many of you have skinned out a few brown bears. On average is a big brown bear shoulder bone and scapula more dense, thick or what ever then a big bull moose?...
    IME brown bears are lightly boned, much more than most people would suspect for an animal of their size and strength. That's not to say that they are soft or fragile, but as predators typically are, that are lighter framed than similar sized ungulates. Their musculature is very tough and heavy, but their bones are not IME. The only rifle bullets I've recovered, from the many brown bears I've taken or helped others collect, came a few falls ago from a very old (I can't recall specifically, but F&G aged him at over 25 years of age) and substantial boar (26"ish skull and a bit over 9' squared). It was a late August bear that was well fed on salmon, I'd say he was more than 800 pounds. I recovered three 270 grain Remington Core-Lokts fired from a 375 H&H from his offside shoulder, which killed the bear quickly and easily. I've shot larger bears with arguably "smaller" cartridges and never failed to have complete pass throughs with my bullet selections. I did recover three bullets from the bear I took with my .44 Redhawk a couple falls ago, but handgun cartridges and rifle cartridges are in different categories of penetration performance. The first shop from the Redhawk dropped the bear for good, but at 30' I ended his passing a bit quicker with the remaining 5 shots.

I'd not be at all concerned of shooting the biggest bear I've ever seen with a Brenneke slug and have carried a shotgun so loaded as a fishing and camp weapon in the past.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Probably, bears are seldom hunted with slugs, but for some reason they are considered the ultimate for bear protection.

Surely, accuracy is limited, range is limited, and because the lead must be soft, penetration is also limited.

If that were not so, there would be no need for the Breneke and other designs to improve terminal performance.

It would be hard to imagine that a 600 grain breneke slug would not be adequate in stopping a bear, but it may not be the BEST choice.

For me, I think there are much better options, mainly because I don't do shoot guns well.

For me also, the purpose of a SG slug is the original one. A solid projectile for smoothbore shootgun barrel.

The only slugs I have ever used are the ones in the shoulder bag for my 20 gauge single barrel, in case of a bear when I was huntin spruce hens, for which a SG is usually not even needed.

My choice for the ultimate bear repeller would be a handy rifle with metallic sights.

My misgivings about slugs my not be totally warranted. ?????

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast