Thread: Fire at Deshka landing

Exclamation Fire at Deshka landing

Anyone got the skinny on the wildfire up at deska landing last night? I have a friend that works for the 911 dispatch in Wasilla and she said that the calls were comming in late last night and that the forestry service was using the old landing strip to possition out. The fire was reported to be covering about a 20 mile strech or so.My wife called "Norie" that lives there at about midnight to check on her and she said that they were about to be evacuated.
    Last edited by GAredneck; 06-21-2007 at 04:53. Reason: more info

woah! Haven't heard of this till now. I was planning on going there for the weekend. Pleasekeep us updated and post anything on this you all might have thx!

Just checked the national large fire situation report and as of 0530 there is only one fire over 100 acres reported in Alaska. That one is over near Homer and is over 4,000.

Thats some good news. I just tried to call deshka landing. No one awnsered.

Default Fire Danger Extreme Conditions

The fire the Forestry Div was fighting is in the McDougal Area. They were simply using the Deshka Landing for staging. The people at the landing always assist the local emergency response agencies in every way they can. News this morning was reporting an emergency situation developing around Trapper and Neil Lakes. No details on that aspect though.

Default Fire Update

I was fishing the Deshka last night and actually saw the cloud of smoke from the fire. My fishing buddies wife is very involved with the Mat Su Red Cross and she confirmed at about 3:00 am that there is indeed a large fire in the area. I dont know the particulars but her report was that the fire was over a mile long (initial report, may be overly conservative) and that at least six individuals were evac'ed out via helicopter all last evening. The talk this morning over breakfast was about the logistics involved in supporting the fire fighting effort which is apperantly being kicked off as we speak.

Info as of 0600: lightning caused, 250 acres, location 61 degrees 54 Lat by 150/05 Long, engines and AST on site for structure protection and possible evacuations.

Thumbs up update

I suppose the fire is not at the landing area and no evacuess. Fishing is still on

Unhappy Okay people, missunderstanding I suppose

Original post I said some one at the deska said possible evacuation, well my wife informed me that it was her 911 dispature friend that called back and said this. So I suppose I heard the wrong thing like all ways. Hope this will clear up any missunderstanding. I assumed it was her friend at the deska "Norie" but I was wrong , shoot me now and just go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Original post I said some one at the deska said possible evacuation, well my wife informed me that it was her 911 dispature friend that called back and said this. So I suppose I heard the wrong thing like all ways. Hope this will clear up any missunderstanding. I assumed it was her friend at the deska "Norie" but I was wrong , shoot me now and just go fishing.

BANG!!!

Couldn't resist!! LOL

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Im a Wasilla cop and they had call all fire fighters out last night the main fire is by Susitna landing they did have several small fire at the deshka landing. I went and got my boat this morning just to be safe.

Saw pic's from this morning on Trapper Lake. Looked like the fire was about 6 miles wide. I believe they evacuated everyone off of the lake. No structures lost up until that point, haven't heard anything since then.

This mornings fire update:
    Su River Fire: 6,000 acres, 100% active, Trapper Lake area evacuated, cabin and structure protection the highest priority.

Caribou Hills Fire: 12,000 acres, is burning in the upper reaches of Deep Creek, structures lost and threatened.

Pan Handle,

Where did you get that update? I've been trying to get some info on that Homer/Ninilchik fire. Supposed to head to Ninilchik Sunday for a three-day fishing charter but not sure if this fire is going to affect the trip or not. Tried calling my charter (AFishunt Charter) and had to leave a message.

Thanks....

It's the BLM coordination centers website. Go to fire.ak.blm.gov and mid page you will see a link to the current sit report. Scrool down a few pages and you will find the narratives for all the wildfires in the state.

Got it and replied to the posting I made on the Caribou Hills Fire.

Thanks, Buddy....

what about the fire at the mouth of lake creek?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.