Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moose stabbing

Default Moose stabbing

Somebody needs to teach these 3 people ethics that is all I need to say because I could rant and rave for days

Quote Originally Posted by Onewhohunts View Post
    Somebody needs to teach these 3 people ethics that is all I need to say because I could rant and rave for days
    Just read that on the ADN. I imagine that the three suspects are far, far beyond the reach of any sort of ethics course. One has to have a base level of humanity and reason for ethics to take a hold. Now maybe they were starving and homeless and were going to use every bit of the animal, but I doubt it.
    Given that they were able to get that close, I'm guessing a calf? The article didn't mention anything more than that it was a young Moose.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

radio said it was a yearling. I hope F&G throws the book at them.

Let's see, taking a moose out of season with weapons not approved for big game hunting, that was sublegal to begin with, and probably without a hunting license. Yeah those guys are screwed. Not to mention potential animal cruelty charges.

Pretty twisted individuals. Not many details released about the suspects. At first I though maybe it was homeless people that were hungry, but this seems to be a thrill killing. Hope they spend a long time behind bars.

As much as I believe they should get the book thrown at them, reality is that they will get a small fine (maybe up to $1000 each) and community service (20-40 hours likely). Possibly get some form of probation on top of that.

Add harassment of wildlife to the list. I hope they get maximum sentences on all charges.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

I'm sure they will get some sort of plea bargain and receive a slap on the wrist
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but to me it Needs To NOT Be A Hunting Issue. I hope Fish & Game has virtually NO involvement in the legal proceedings and civilly the City/State go after them on animal torture charges where they can get significant punishment. I see zero value in having their collective hunting licenses revoked for any length of time.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but to me it Needs To NOT Be A Hunting Issue. I hope Fish & Game has virtually NO involvement in the legal proceedings and civilly the City/State go after them on animal torture charges where they can get significant punishment. I see zero value in having their collective hunting licenses revoked for any length of time.
    That would be awesome if they did it like that. But being a game animal and not a farm animal like a cow or domestic creature like a dog, I'm betting ADF&G will have a say in it all...

We shall see...

On April 28, 2015, at about 7:20 PM , APD Dispatch received calls fromseveral witnesses that three men were attacking a moose near the bike traillocated south of the Russian Jack Chalet near Reka and Pine Streets. Thewitnesses say they observed the three men jumping on the moose, kicking it andstabbing it with a large knife.

When officers arrived, they discovered a dead yearling moose with severallacerations and large tufts of hair pulled from its body. Officersquickly located three men nearby, with bloody clothes, matching the witnessesdescription of the suspects. APD K-9 also responded and searched the areafor evidence; about an hour later, K-9 “Diesel” and his handler found severalknives in the area believed to be used in the killing of the moose.
    Officers arrested *******, 25, ********, 28, and ********, 33.

They were each charged with Cruelty to Animals (felony),Wanton Waste of Big Game (misdemeanor), and Tampering with Evidence(felony).

All three were remanded to the Anchorage Jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    Very true, has nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with torture and mutilation. These people are sick. I am pretty sure they will not get what they deserve.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

There was a similar incident in Pennsylvania some years ago. Some farmer was feeding a couple of wild deer which became friendly with people. These deer actually brought other wild deer and people and kids would stop by to watch...this was totally legal. Then one fall some guy shows up and starts feeding the deer with apples. The deer started taking apples out of this guy hand and when a young buck took his turn the guy pulls out a knife and stabs it in the neck resulting in the deers death, the police and game wardens where called and since the guy had a deer tag and the deer was in season and the property was not posted nothing could be done.. The world is full of people like this it is unfortunate but this the new way I guess, cops can't do there jobs., Mayors are letting thugs burn and loot private property....maybe it time for people to take the law in their own hands

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bob w View Post
    T....maybe it time for people to take the law in their own hands
    Careful there bob w!

Quote Originally Posted by bob w View Post
    There was a similar incident in Pennsylvania some years ago. Some farmer was feeding a couple of wild deer which became friendly with people. These deer actually brought other wild deer and people and kids would stop by to watch...this was totally legal. Then one fall some guy shows up and starts feeding the deer with apples. The deer started taking apples out of this guy hand and when a young buck took his turn the guy pulls out a knife and stabs it in the neck resulting in the deers death, the police and game wardens where called and since the guy had a deer tag and the deer was in season and the property was not posted nothing could be done.. The world is full of people like this it is unfortunate but this the new way I guess, cops can't do there jobs., Mayors are letting thugs burn and loot private property....maybe it time for people to take the law in their own hands
    Seems like the law in PA has changed. Quite a few years ago, I knew 2 guys that killed a wounded buck (during an open season) using a rock (stunned the buck, hitting it in the head), then cutting the deer's throat (with a knife). One guy even tagged the buck with his unused tag. They both paid large fines and lost hunting privileges for 5 years, for taking a deer with weapons that weren't recognized as legal for the purpose of harvest. In other words, they didn't use a rifle, shotgun or archery equipment - the only ways that were recognized. Things change, I guess.
    Hope the morons in ANC get the book thrown at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Onewhohunts View Post
    Ethics based on what absolutes? Thanks to such "great" men as Neitzche, ethics are now situational, negotiable, and arbitrary- if they are taught at all. In many cases there are no parents to do it. Anyway, these punks were just making themselves happy, which is the basis of our culture now. People are doing this same kind of thing against other people, just watch the local news.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    People are doing this same kind of thing against other people, just watch the local news.
    Yep.....nutjobs have been killing each other for no good reason since the beginning of time.....

This bs with the moose shouldn't come as any great surprise to anybody......

Unfortunately.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

This sickening event makes me wonder if they might be responsible for a couple of the dog mutilations recently. I have no tolerance for cruelty and I am very glad I didn't come across it happening...Thrill killing of people usually starts with working their way up from torturing harmless animals. Very glad they were caught, but I have a feeling they will be out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Ethics based on what absolutes? Thanks to such "great" men as Neitzche, ethics are now situational, negotiable, and arbitrary- if they are taught at all. In many cases there are no parents to do it. Anyway, these punks were just making themselves happy, which is the basis of our culture now. People are doing this same kind of thing against other people, just watch the local news.
    Well said. I suspect Neitzche would actually approve of this sort of behavior, he was never a fan of mercy or compassion.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Seems like the law in PA has changed. Quite a few years ago, I knew 2 guys that killed a wounded buck (during an open season) using a rock (stunned the buck, hitting it in the head), then cutting the deer's throat (with a knife). One guy even tagged the buck with his unused tag. They both paid large fines and lost hunting privileges for 5 years, for taking a deer with weapons that weren't recognized as legal for the purpose of harvest. In other words, they didn't use a rifle, shotgun or archery equipment - the only ways that were recognized. Things change, I guess.
    Hope the morons in ANC get the book thrown at them.
    As I remember, PA has some very strict hunting laws, like Maine. I think in PA, if you hunted the muzzle loader season, it had to be blackpowder, flintlock, round ball. Just interesting.

I agree, leaving the hunting regs out of it is probably a good idea, since the animal cruelty angle is a felony. Nonetheless, in instances like this I don't see why these creeps can't have their rights to a hunting license revoked for life. What a bunch of sick "bastages".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast