Thread: late June Kenai advice

Default late June Kenai advice

I'll be in Fbx this summer escaping the Ms heat with 10 labs, and plan to finally visit the Kenai area. Flying my son into Anch on 6/20 for a week. Haven't decided on pulling the RV or getting room/cabin yet, but want to be on the river in a decent section so we can walk to a spot or two. Should I focus on Soldotna area or Cooper Landing this time of year? Plan to use a guide for a trip or two, then try to take in the community licks for the experience. Any suggestions much appreciated.Thx
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Getalab View Post
    I'll be in Fbx this summer escaping the Ms heat with 10 labs, and plan to finally visit the Kenai area. Flying my son into Anch on 6/20 for a week. Haven't decided on pulling the RV or getting room/cabin yet, but want to be on the river in a decent section so we can walk to a spot or two. Should I focus on Soldotna area or Cooper Landing this time of year? Plan to use a guide for a trip or two, then try to take in the community licks for the experience. Any suggestions much appreciated.Thx
    Steve
    It depends on your target species. If your targeting sockeye, you'll want to be near the Russian River during that time frame. If targeting rainbows you'll want to fish the Upper kenai (Cooper Landing area) or below Skilak Lake (Sterling). If you wish to target kings, then you're looking at the Kasilof River.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

We'll be fishing for reds, with maybe a day trip to Kasilof. Mainly looking for best accommodations on the best section of river this time of year. Will do as much sitting and watching as fishing, but would like to be able to walk from camp to decent spot.
    Not hoping for much, am I?😀
    Thanks for tips.

Off the top of my head, I can think of (at least) 4 state/federal campgrounds within walking distance of the Russian or Kenai Rivers. At least 3 more private campgrounds. I think your best resource will be a Milepost to see what's available for camping vs getting a room.

All the gov sites are full for that week, and the first come/serve aren't an option. The private ones on the river are full, didn't check the parking lot type right on the road. Finally got a week at Kenai RV in Cooper Landing, no access but close to the action.
    goingnorthrv.com had the best list of AK campgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Getalab View Post
    All the gov sites are full for that week, and the first come/serve aren't an option. The private ones on the river are full, didn't check the parking lot type right on the road. Finally got a week at Kenai RV in Cooper Landing, no access but close to the action.
    goingnorthrv.com had the best list of AK campgrounds.

Well, tis the season......
    It sounds like you might be unfamiliar with the publication "The Alaska Milepost". If you're driving to AK, then driving around the state, it will be the BEST $30 you could spend. Its available at the store here or you could get it online.

Tis the season,no doubt, and appears a majority plan to start it around the Kenai. I've got the milepost, and have highlighted the turnouts and spots they suggest, along with the state camps I plan to move to once there. Plan on checking on fly out to Wolverine Creek, and maybe a float on the Kasilof. Any other suggestions much appreciated.
    thanks again,
    Steve

You might want to also consider an upper Kenai guided trip. Fishing up here can be completely different from any you've done previously. Having someone tell & show you how its done can cut years (litterly) off the learning curve.
    By the way, I've had labs for over 40 years.