Thread: Garmin Marine Network and NMEA2000

Default Garmin Marine Network and NMEA2000

Can the newer Garmin combo units use both GMN and NMEA2k networks?

I want to tie my Yamaha motor into a Garmin network (it will be new equipment and motor).

I tried (unsuccessfully) to tie my 90hp 2006 Yamaha to a Lowrance 5200C via a 2k network and also to a Garmin 546S. I have all of the cabling, starter package, etc. The two old combo units both recognize the motor and the rest of the devices on the network but they have no new information to display - kind of like they are too dumb to do anything with the information.

I'd like to tie a 200hp Yamaha into a new Garmin 1040XS combo (haven't fully decided on the combo unit yet, but it is looking like the 1040 is what I am looking for).

I would call river n sea marine and ask for Adam. They are both a garmin and Yamaha dealer. Adam knows his stuff with the garmins. He's their main set up man.

I have my new Yamaha 150's hooked to my 740xs. Should be the same as the 1040xs
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

How do you like the 740xs? Do you use Chirp with it? What transducer did you go with?

Did you hook it up via GMN or N2K? One network or two?

The 1040 says it talks N2K - so then what is the GMN for if all the devices can talk N2K?

I have my Suzuki 175's hooked up to my 7212 + 4210 & GMI 20 via the nmea 2k network. Send me a pm if you want to see anything.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

The only thing that plugs into the Garmin Marine Network are Garmin Devices (extra MFD's, sonar modules, radar, etc). All of the rest of the electronics will talk to each other using NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183. So there are two ways you can go. If you want your GPS data into your Yamaha Command Link network for MPG calculations on a Yamaha Gauge, you will use the NMEA 0183 output from a GPS into the blue and white wires behind your Yamaha Speed/Fuel or Command Link Plus display. However with this set up, none of your engine info will show up on your electronics. The other way to go is to use NMEA 2000. If you are going to have a NMEA 2000 network on the boat for other electronics networked to your plotter, you would need to use Yamaha's Gateway to make your motor info available on the N2K network. Then you have all the engine gauges on your plotter. If you are simply using the N2K between the Yamaha and the Chart Plotter, there is a simple cable you can buy that plugs your chart plotter into your Yamaha Command Link network (which is also N2K). This also enables all of the engine info to be on the chart plotter.
    You have problems if you try to have an N2k network on the boat and interconnect it with the Command link components. N2K networks are externally powered, and require terminating resistors on each end of the network. Plugging two networks together really messes with that system.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How do you like the 740xs? Do you use Chirp with it? What transducer did you go with?

Did you hook it up via GMN or N2K? One network or two?

The 1040 says it talks N2K - so then what is the GMN for if all the devices can talk N2K?
    I do like the 741xs. I have chirp tm150 ducer. Not top of the line by any means, but it's a big upgrade over the stock transducer. I have the Yamaha's hooked up via NMEA 2K. I also have a garmin echomap 74sv with down/side view and that's pretty incredible I think. Shows structure and contours very well.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    The only thing that plugs into the Garmin Marine Network are Garmin Devices (extra MFD's, sonar modules, radar, etc). All of the rest of the electronics will talk to each other using NMEA 2000 or NMEA 0183.
    Akfish1 - Spot on! I have two networks on my boat: Garmin network [4210, 7212, GMR 18 + GSD 26] & NMEA 2k network: [Suzi 175 (2x), GPS 19, GMI 20] I had to add the 7212 + 4210 to share gps/sonar/radar via nmea 2k. All that's left to hookup is the nmea 0183 wires to the vhf unless I splurge for a nmea 2k vhf.

Bullelkklr - Garmin radar + sonar don't have nmea 2k output or ports so you need to hook them up to your garmin network.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

What everyone else has said, all the Garmin stuff will plug into the Chartplotter (or the hub if you have enough stuff) and then VHF, gauges, motors all work off the NMEA. My Garmin 3608 is feeding my Honda gauges speed and my vhf speed and location via NMEA of one kind or another.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    If you are simply using the N2K between the Yamaha and the Chart Plotter, there is a simple cable you can buy that plugs your chart plotter into your Yamaha Command Link network (which is also N2K). This also enables all of the engine info to be on the chart plotter.
    You have problems if you try to have an N2k network on the boat and interconnect it with the Command link components. N2K networks are externally powered, and require terminating resistors on each end of the network. Plugging two networks together really messes with that system.
    That is what I did. I bought the cable and then the startup kit. THe garmin 546S sees the motor and so does my lowrance 5200C - they just are not smart enough to do anything with the information as everyone suggests.

Default Yamaha + NMEA 2k

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    That is what I did. I bought the cable and then the startup kit. THe garmin 546S sees the motor and so does my lowrance 5200C - they just are not smart enough to do anything with the information as everyone suggests.
    Take a look at the attachment. You may need to take another step to get the Yamaha Command module to be able to communicate with the Garmin plotter. I had a b***h of a time trying to figure mine last Suzuki/Garmin interface until I talked to a Suzuki guy that actually knew what he was doing. My Garmin would show some really weird info like 3 OB's being connected; 35 gph fuel burn @ 800 rpm idle in my driveway, etc. It can be a total PITA learning this stuff & don't bother calling Garmin for advice cuz they will tell you that you are on your own!!! Yamaha_Engine_NMEA2000_Connection.pdf
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

That is the straw....I'm selling her and getting a new boat with new electronics!