Thread: Radar ?

Default Radar ?

Anyone used this radar unit from garmin http://www.gpsnation.com/p/garmin-xh...FQqEfgodE7oATQ ?

Also looking at the GMR 18HDRadome unit from Garmin.

I am researching radar units for a potential new boat purchase. I've never used radar before and am going to go with Garmin for the electronics. Looking for something that is lower end priced but still functional.

We have the dome. Nice sealed unit, no complaints.
    Bk

I have the garmin 18hd radome. Haven't used it much out of necessity, but I have used it just trying it out. It picks up other boats just fine. Probably not on the same level as furuno or raymarine, but it's functional
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I either have the 16 or 18, can't remember right now but it works good. Have only used it a few times in the fog or just to keep track of traffic in Passage canal on the Sunday run to the harbor.. I don't think you can go wrong a garmin for just everyday use. If you were wanting to do AIS and target tracking then I suspect there is probably better but for fog navigation it will work fine.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

in my opinion radar is unnecessary in PWS 99% of the time, so cost per look is pretty expensive. I'd spend the money on a good autopilot or other better suited boat goodies. Radar that has low kw's doesn't see much and the radars that have the good power cost GOOD bucks.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I am/was kind of thinking the same thing Steve - - but still want to learn about them. I go out of seward too and sometimes the fog there can be pretty thick.

I have the 18hd and love it. I use it when the water get crappy. Fog. Snowstorms or when I'm running south towards Monty. It picks icebergs pretty well too. But I have mine mounted pretty high up so it picks up better. We use it a lot out of Seward too. Mostly to see other boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Seward is the main reason I got a radar, at least half the time I have gone out of there I have had to run in thick fog
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I would agree with Steve, I have the same unit and its cool to have but I am not sure it was worth the money I spent for it along with the arch. There might be a few times you would use it out of Seward / Homer but once you average the cost versus the need to have I think you will see there is not a even balance. I could see using it a bit more for a trip from Seward to Montague on a foggy day. Bare in mind it does not show dead heads and logs on a foggy day either. So I refer to the USCG Captain test ''slow to bare steerable"
    in poor weather conditions.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Agree, it aint worth the $.
    I hardly use it except in the winter when its snowing like crazy. Then I use the radar with overlay to verify land while moving.

Also use it to ping a charter boat occassionally and record the spot to check out later, but really its not a must have for 99% of the time.
    Bk

Guess I will be the odd one out here because I use my 18HD out of Valdez all the time. The port and more times than not the narrows are fogged in during the early to mid morning hours. I went out in the old boat several times without radar and it can get spooky. At times I had to turn the boat off and listen for other boats just to make sure that I wasn't on a collision course with someone, and trust me, you don't want to meet a tanker in the fog. Its a great piece of insurance for days that would keep you otherwise at the harbor or on the hook.