Thread: How long to pull an IB?

Default How long to pull an IB?

Any estimates on removing a carb'd 350 from a close coupled 212? Approx? In a heated shop, overhead chain hoist, no beer until afterwards....
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Never pulled one out of a boat. I can pull a small block out of a vehicle in a couple hours by myself. Should not be a big deal, disconnecting the coupler should be the hardest part. Definitely not rocket science. Lack of overhead hoist is what stops most people from doing it. I would definitely be interested in how long it takes.

Pretty quick if the bolts aren't seized and if you are pulling it with the exhaust manifolds attached. Undo the exhaust after the elbows, disconnect the throttle linkage, undo wiring, fuel line, undo the motor mounts, unbolt the output shaft that attaches to the pump, attach lifting hardware, lift away...

Sobie2

Maybe 20-30 minutes for someone who gets paid to do it for a living (will pry charge 5 hrs), maybe 45 minutes to an hour for the average person doing it themselves like you. Not sure how tricky it is to detach from a 212 though

Maybe a couple of hours for one guy to get it done. Spray some penetrating oil on offending bolts a few days early and you may have an easier time of it. The wet exhaust can kind of weld to the risers and take some twisting and prying to get off. Fuel hoses can be a pain to pry off the barbs. I cut most of them off now when I have to remove a hose. Other than that, it is pretty simple. The U-joint can be taken apart in the middle if you can't get to the attachment of the PTO (flywheel). I have been taking the mounts off the stringers and removing them when the motor is free of the boat. Keeps from messing up the threads on the motor mount. If I had an overhead hoist, I would remove my motor every couple of years just for maintenance. As it is, I remove motors when they break. Heck, you could drink beer during the removal. Or not.

Better yet, tell us what happened to the current 350. Good story?

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Better yet, tell us what happened to the current 350. Good story?
    I wish I had an entertaining story to share, I just want to pull it so I can flip the boat upside down to do some welding work on the hull. I MIGHT have a good/bad story to share after I'm done though......
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    I wish I had an entertaining story to share, I just want to pull it so I can flip the boat upside down to do some welding work on the hull. I MIGHT have a good/bad story to share after I'm done though......
    Depending on how long the engine and jet have been mated together the coupler can at time be a big pain to split apart. Just keep in mind that the shaft is at an up angle 5 degrees I think so keep a slight angle on the engine as you pull it as well. I.E. keep the same angle on the engine as it is connected.

I'm still trying to figure out why you would ever want to attempt any work without beer?
    09 River Wild, 3 stages, LS power

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out why you would ever want to attempt any work without beer?
    "Hey, where did the extra bolts come from?"
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by c-bolt View Post
    "I thought you put the flywheel on!", no, "You said that you put it on!".

"****, I need another beer!"

When you have parts left over, that just means you are more efficient than the guy that designed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    When you have parts left over, that just means you are more efficient than the guy that designed it.
    Not to mention all the speed gains from the weight savings!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    When life hands you lemons, make lemonade.....
    Got out today for the first trip of the year. Just a shakedown, a few other boats out as well. Ran into saltchukar who is boat-less right now, and was waiting for the weather to improve so he could go flying.
    Just did an oil change and shes ready for the summer.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    "I thought you put the flywheel on!", no, "You said that you put it on!".

"****, I need another beer!"
    I had a buddy back home do that very thing on his dirt track race car. Everything was hooked up radiator filled. Hit the start button and all that was heard was the starter spinning. All this was followed by much cussing and a few thrown wrenches. Its funny as hell thinking back on it but that night really sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by dandmtritt View Post
    I had a buddy back home do that very thing on his dirt track race car. Everything was hooked up radiator filled. Hit the start button and all that was heard was the starter spinning. All this was followed by much cussing and a few thrown wrenches. Its funny as hell thinking back on it but that night really sucked.
    Yup, never did that myself but, I have seen it done more than once. It is a real pisser, for sure!