Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 44 mag lever carbine, ar ethe newer Rossis ok or junk?

Default Looking for a 44 mag lever carbine, ar ethe newer Rossis ok or junk?

I have owned a few 4 mag lever guns in the past. The best being a Browning B-92 which I should have never sold.
    I have not owned a Marlin 44 mag carbine yet.
    I have owned a couple of the older Rossi lever guns and they had questionable wood and some bad machine and casting work.

I am hankering for another 44 mag carbine and wonder if the newer Rossis are any better? Anyone know of anything on the market?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]What year were your Rossi? [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I have owned 16" Rossi carbines in 44 and in 454. These were 2006 or 2007 production. One was custom from Steve's Guns. One was stock. The Rossi sure does benefit from the attention of a good gunsmith. A Williams reliever sight works well and you can remove the second safety too. The wood on these two rifles exceeded expectations. [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Chuck Fields down in Arizona is experienced with the Rossi action and does exceptional work. [/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]The 44 shoots 300 grain Federal hardcast very well and deserves hand loads.[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]I have not seen any recent Rossi 92's and can't speak to current quality, but in either stock or custom my Rossi are what I call good for the money rifles. Looking at Bud's Guns website it looks like the 44 in stainless is around $ 500. Lots of the 92 listings there say make offer. Good sign[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Well I call them a great build platform because they need gone through but come out great. Out of the box they are better than a new Marlin out of the box, sad but true. Rossy wood isn't bad but it looks bad from the gawd awful dip wax finish they use, clean that off with some 220 paper and alcohol them apply a good finish and the wood ranges from not bad to pretty dang good looking.

Of all the new levers out there I find the Rossi 92 the best value but plan on doing a little work to it before you fall in love with it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have one in 45 Colt. I wouldn't compare it favorably to a pre-64 winchester, but I got my money's worth IMO.

I spent an hour or two with stones, and stripped the shoe polish stain right out of the box. I refinished with walnut stain and truoil. She works very smooth now, and looks pretty darn good. I also installed a leather lace on buttstock cover and no-drill sling from gunstockcover.com.

I'm happy with it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have both the 454 and the 44 mag, the 44 gets used for Cowboy Action Shooting. I'm quite fond of both rifles.

The few I did own were from back in the 1980s.

I have the Puma in 454 and like it a lot. Gotta do something with that awful color on the wood one of these days.

I have only had one bad Rossi 92 and wouldn't you know it it was a 44 that I bought for my grandson to use during the Indiana deer season. Then just after I bought it they change the rules in Indiana so that rifles shooting bottle neck cases are now legal so I traded the 44 for a 243. I was just going to send the 44 to ADFields for a going over but Andy was in the process of moving so it went down the road.

I have ammo cans full of loaded 44 ammo and only handguns that shoot it. I'm needing another Rossi too and when the right deal comes along I'll grab one. If it isn't right it's going to see Andy cuz when it comes to Rossi's there's no one that knows them better than ADFields.

I had someone tell me once to only buy the blued ones because the Stainless ones were soft? Is that even possible?

There is a pre-safety Marlin model 94 on Alaska's List in 44 mag. His price is a bit steep and the barrel is the old micro-groove with a slow twist. So it would not be so swell for cast lead slugs. For the price he wants I could find a new Winchester m-92.

The wood on the Rossi's I have from the 1980s and early 90s had wood that was loaded with knots. Plus it was soft. We drilled a couple for a rear sling swivel and the wood pulled out of the threads in crumbles. The weather in Brazil does not lend itself to growing true hardwoods.

I wonder how the new win 92's compare to the Henry's currently being produced?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default m

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I wonder how the new win 92's compare to the Henry's currently being produced?
    Well Smokey after I got the bumb Rossi I felt so bad for the kid that I got him a Henry Big Boy 44 mag and just put the Rossi away as it had about as nice of wood as you'll find on a Rossi. He calls the 44 Henry his pig gun and he likes it. Then when the Indiana Dept. Of Natural Resources change the rules I wanted Tait to have a 243 and said good by to the Rossi to make the 243 happen.

The Henry 44 is a nice gun but it is way different from what I like about the 92s. The Henry is heavier and not as sleek. I grew up watching the Rifleman and would like to have a big loop lever on a 92....just because. There is a guy that goes by Muleman that makes big loop levers for the Rossi 92. You send him your lever and $125.00 and he will make a big loop out of it. That's a little steep for my liking.

The henry is undoubtedly the nicest 44 lever out there. BUT, its not one I would strap to the front of the 4 wheeler and go riding. I have a 2000 ish marlin 1894ss and its one of my favorite guns. It has always fed everything I gave it. I do not have one in a rossi. I do have a 357 in rossi and it is far smoother than my marlin....... I would buy which ever one suits your budget. I wouldn't turn any of them away! Don't be scared to look at the rossi.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    There is a pre-safety Marlin model 94 on Alaska's List in 44 mag. His price is a bit steep and the barrel is the old micro-groove with a slow twist. So it would not be so swell for cast lead slugs. For the price he wants I could find a new Winchester m-92.

The wood on the Rossi's I have from the 1980s and early 90s had wood that was loaded with knots. Plus it was soft. We drilled a couple for a rear sling swivel and the wood pulled out of the threads in crumbles. The weather in Brazil does not lend itself to growing true hardwoods.

That is a nice looking marlin on there. It is steep but I think priced right for what the market is. And I thought Brazil had some of the hardest trees known to man? The ironwood species??

Is somewhere around $500 a good price for a new Rossi carbine these days?

Heck I bought my first one in 357mag from the A. C. Store in Fort Yukon for $115 back in 1983.

Anyone seen any for a good price?

I paid a little more at $549 ish for mine. I bought mine from Gallery Of Guns. I thought it was steep at first, but when I started researching, that seems to be the going rate. In my case, the 45 Colt seems harder to find, so when I saw it in stock, I jumped on it (I had been waiting for 6+ months for one to be in stock).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used to have a 45 Colt version that had the 24 inch half-round, half octagon barrel. I bought it back when I was into cowboy shooting. It was too pretty to do anything other than go to the range.
    I sold it and a pair of 45 Colt 3rd gen SAAs back when I bought this house and needed down-payment cash.

I only have one 45 colt shootin-iron left.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/945102907...-44MAG-NEW.htm

I paid 509 for a 357 ss just a month or so ago. Cost about 35$ to get it shipped to ak. Personally I am partial to the 20" barrels. I like the extra rounds in the mag and I think its a better balanced rifle.

Found one. Deal done. Blued 16 inch. Less than 500.
    Just need to get rid of that weird bolt safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Found one. Deal done. Blued 16 inch. Less than 500.
    Just need to get rid of that weird bolt safety.
    http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.ph...ex&cPath=31_32
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sweet. Are you planning on cast bullets or jacketed mostly?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast