Thread: Long shot - Physics PhD looking for work in ANC

Default Long shot - Physics PhD looking for work in ANC

I know this is along shot, but I figured it was worth it. I've been spamming GCI and ACS since they have the most related work to what I've done for my PhD (optics, submillimeter waves, terahertz science). I'm looking for a remote sensing/RF engineer type job. Here's a quick run-down:

I was born and raised in Homer (graduated HHS 2006). I went to Northern Arizona University and graduated in 2010 with a BS in Mathematics and BS in Physics (GPA 3.28). I worked at Peninsula Construction (manual labor) during this time and paid for my undergrad out of pocket. I'm finishing up my PhD in Physics at Oregon State University (GPA 3.38, expected graduation August 2015). My wife and I are moving to Anchorage this fall. She is going to UAA for a Radiation Technology certification and I'm looking for gainful employment.

Several of the skills I have acquired are noteworthy. I have an extensive background in light-matter interaction (specifically with submillimeter waves) due to my chosen field (Terahertz science) which allows me to understand, design, or troubleshoot systems whith operational ranges from optical to radio frequencies (RF). Working as a manual laborer, I was forced to develop foresight and anticipate which items or results were needed in order to proceed on the jobsite. I have carried this skill over to the scientific realm. It has helped the lab in which I work by minimizing down-time and streamlining operation. I also am able to extrapolate both quantitative results from data and intended meanings from conversations. This skill of taking an incomplete data set (i.e. using incorrect or unfamiliar verbiage) and being able to determine the useful information along with the intended meaning allows me to effectively communicate and prevent communication issues from arising. I have utilized my ability to visualize the solutions to problems, especially in the context of designing. This skill allows me to rapidly construct functional prototypes based on concepts and ideas.

Any help would be infinitely appreciated.

Zack

zack.thompson@gmail.com
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.

I have successfully defended my dissertation (on 8/19, I'm doing final edits on that massive document), am living in Anchorage, and am looking for employment. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

Zack
    Surviving one day at a time with a PhD in Physics.