Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of washdown in Whittier

Default Lack of washdown in Whittier

Made my first trip to Whittier this weekend, paid for my space in the lot and a season launch pass, and enjoyed a nice weekend out on the water. I returned, hauled out the boat, and found that the harbor is using the washdown area for staging the new floats. Asked the harbormaster staff about where the new washdown/rinse station was and .... we are apparently out of luck. The new harbormaster doesn't have plans for a replacement.

I sent an email this morning to Cole Haddock at harbormaster@whittieralaska.gov, letting him know that washdown is an essential service to those of us that keep our boats in Whittier, unless some entrepreneur is going to add a carwash sometime soon. I would even be fine paying a minimal fee if the cost of water is an issue.

If you are interested in letting him know your opinion on the lack of washdown facilities, please email him. I added addresses for Chamber of Commerce, the City, the Mayor, and Gwen. Also Swiftwater and Lazy Otter ... as they get a fair amount of my money as well!!

WhittierCOC@gmail.com
    info@whittieralaska.gov
    mayor@whittieralaska.gov
    whittierparkingcamping@gmail.com
    info@lazyottercharters.com
    akvarly@gci.net

Water is available across the tracks right by the parking lot as of yesterday, no charge.
    Bring your own hose.

BUT, I agree, we need the wash down set up asap in its usual spot to accomodate a couple boats at a time! They know when shrimping season starts and the harbor gets traffic. No excuse for all that crap sitting in the wash down area as its been there for months.
    Noticed the lady in the orange vest at the dock making sure you paid for a launch and parking though!! Nice........
    Bk

Quote: "Noticed the lady in the orange vest at the dock making sure you paid for a launch and parking though!! Nice........
    Bk"

I saw several tickets on tow vehicles that were parked in the staging area and there abouts instead of across the tracks. I was able to get my preferred, chuck hole ridden spot.

When we arrived earlier in the week, nothing was open and multiple trailers parked where I parked mine next to the staging area. Of course, when we returned Sunday afternoon I had multiple warnings to park in the crater laden lot across the tracks, stuck to my windows. Its funny that the whittidiots kept adding more warnings, as if one wasn't enough?! ''Oh gee, he hasn't moved in 5 days, guess we'll put another warning on again today next to the other 3, uh-huh?!
    Of course Oct thru mid April it was a-ok to park anywhere.

Gotta love putting Whittier in the rear view be it from the truck or boat.
    Bk

The joys of Whittier. Not having good fresh water source is one of the reasons I drag my boat back to Anchorage each weekend.

I grew up in Valdez. My friends there have the same view as "us" of whitter, but for different reasons. They curse the tunnel for allowing all the "rats of Anchorage" into PWS.

Happy fishing fellas, If you see a red boot stripe 24 Seasport Explorer with twin 150 Yamaha's bobbing around, give me a shout. It will be one of the few boats in PWS stacked with dead sea otters!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    The joys of Whittier. Not having good fresh water source is one of the reasons I drag my boat back to Anchorage each weekend.

I grew up in Valdez. My friends there have the same view as "us" of whitter, but for different reasons. They curse the tunnel for allowing all the "rats of Anchorage" into PWS.

Happy fishing fellas, If you see a red boot stripe 24 Seasport Explorer with twin 150 Yamaha's bobbing around, give me a shout. It will be one of the few boats in PWS stacked with dead sea otters!
    i will buy gas and bullets if you want to come to Homer for a little target practice

Don't give the whittidioids any ideas about charging for a wash down hose !!! Just drive over to the public works building across from Great Pacific Seafoods and use the hose barb there, maybe they will get the idea they need a wash down at the harbor.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for thinning them out in PWS they have gotten crazy the last few years in are usual spots.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.--Benjamin Franklin

If you get over to Port Chalmers you can fill your boat with the fur in one bay.

K, gonna stir the fire! What the heck is the point of shooting all the otters?

They make really nice jackets, actually some of the nicest fur you can get. Oh and it helps save the crab and clams.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thread officially hijacked. In most places in Alaska the otter population has exploded. I think the aleutian chain might be only place where this isnt the case, but not sure. Otters are prolific hunters of shellfish, they decimate populations. I hunt for pelts, my kids and I make a variety of things with them. The fur is the densest in the world, unmatched by anything you will see. For instance, you can pull an otter out of the water, and no more than an inch inside its fur it is compleatly dry. Said again , this is an animal that lives its life in the water, yet it is compleatly dry at its hide and most of fur.

If you think you have an otter problem up there, come down to Southeast AK! Around 30,000 of them down here now, with 2000+ new recruits every year. They are decimating our shellfish populations.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    If you think you have an otter problem up there, come down to Southeast AK! Around 30,000 of them down here now, with 2000+ new recruits every year. They are decimating our shellfish populations.
    I lived in Juneau 15 years. Did my best to curb population around pleasant island.

Seems like closing down that tunnel would stop all the complaints from LosAnchorage about how terrible Whittier is...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

What would you charge for a king size quilt? I can trade

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Thread officially hijacked. In most places in Alaska the otter population has exploded. I think the aleutian chain might be only place where this isnt the case, but not sure. Otters are prolific hunters of shellfish, they decimate populations. I hunt for pelts, my kids and I make a variety of things with them. The fur is the densest in the world, unmatched by anything you will see. For instance, you can pull an otter out of the water, and no more than an inch inside its fur it is compleatly dry. Said again , this is an animal that lives its life in the water, yet it is compleatly dry at its hide and most of fur.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Seems like closing down that tunnel would stop all the complaints from LosAnchorage about how terrible Whittier is...
    Or.....fix the problems!!!!!
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Nope, because closing the tunnel wouldn't make it less of a poorly maintained suckhole.

Viva Los Anchorage...

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Or.....fix the problems!!!!!
    Bk
    Yeah, I guess nobody's clued them into the fact that they're supposed to be subservient to the LosAnchorage crowd. Just give 'em time; I'm sure they'll learn to show the appropriate respect and appreciation which is obviously deserved by those who endure such hardship and make such sacrifice to travel to Whittier and grace the local residents with their gracious and endearing presence.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    What would you charge for a king size quilt? I can trade
    Bed spreads/quilts/blankets are great for show, but they are HOT, HOT, too hot to sleep under.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast