Thread: leupold rangefinders with trophoy scale?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default leupold rangefinders with trophoy scale?

I'm trying to decide between leupold rx800 and rx1000 and I find the trophy scale appealing if it works. Anyone have much experience with it? I played with one in the store the other day but didn't have time to confirm moose rack widths at the right distances to see if it is accurate. I'm not expecting to make any close call decisions on 51" bulls with it, just use it as another tool. I've also heard the 800 is more water resistant.

If you were to pick between the 800 with trophy scale and 1000, which would be your choice?

Thanks
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I've had an 800 for 2 years now. It has served me well. Simple to use. As for the trophy scale, I have mine set at the 50" setting since I primary want to gauge moose. I set a sheet of plywood out and hit it with the 800 at 50 and 100 yards. Typical shot distance for how I generally hunt. That 48" sheet of plywood shows up as right at 50 " on the trophy scale. So I wouldn't trust it down to the last inch without the right browtine. Or set out enough things of different sizes at different ranges to test it out on something that won't land you a big fine. Overall I'm very happy with my 800. It's seen alot of wet conditions and no leaks or fogging. Typical leupold product in that regard.

I have the trophy scale, and it works great. Granted you wouldn't want to count on it within an inch or so. We did some testing with an adjustable width moose rack. We had one person hold the rack at random widths between 45 and 55", and the spotter would judge it with the trophy scale and call out whether it was legal or not. It was right on every time. We did this testing out to 300 yards. As you get out to greater distances the rangefinder needs to be steadied on a tripod or sticks. I was able to use it in the field for a 10 day hunt, didn't get a moose, but found a couple that showed on the scale at 48". I also use it for bears. Turn it on it's side and you can tell how high to the top of the shoulder.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted"
    Jose Ortega y Gasset, Meditations on Hunting.

i like mine but, as a bowhunter, i cringe every time i hit the range button and hear that loud 'click.' much quieter rangefinders out there.
    i've found the trophy scale to be too difficult to use on noncooperative moose to use it as a selling point; however, i'm sure it works great on gauging wall mounts.
    to assist with your question regarding 800 or the 1000...the 800's true range is more like 600-700 (i have the 800) so if you're planning on ranging further you'll probably want the 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I've had an 800 for 2 years now. It has served me well. Simple to use. As for the trophy scale, I have mine set at the 50" setting since I primary want to gauge moose. I set a sheet of plywood out and hit it with the 800 at 50 and 100 yards. Typical shot distance for how I generally hunt. That 48" sheet of plywood shows up as right at 50 " on the trophy scale. So I wouldn't trust it down to the last inch without the right browtine. Or set out enough things of different sizes at different ranges to test it out on something that won't land you a big fine. Overall I'm very happy with my 800. It's seen alot of wet conditions and no leaks or fogging. Typical leupold product in that regard.
    I'm not that familiar with rangefinders as I've never felt the need to own one......the ones I've seen never worked that well in bad weather anyway. What I'm curious of tho is this trophy scale. If it was set at 50" and ended up being 48, did you try to set it up to 52" and see how it acts then? Do the increments allow you to change by the inch or is it on a larger scale?

Just curious.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I played with the trophy scale in bass pro today. The rangefinder has a couple of hash marks and when you range, it indicates the width of the lines. I ranged a moose mount at 40 yards and the hash marks showed up with 26 inches on the screen, which was probably half the width of the rack.

The 800 is waterproof, the 1000 is only weatherproof. I still can't decide.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    I played with the trophy scale in bass pro today. The rangefinder has a couple of hash marks and when you range, it indicates the width of the lines. I ranged a moose mount at 40 yards and the hash marks showed up with 26 inches on the screen, which was probably half the width of the rack.

The 800 is waterproof, the 1000 is only weatherproof. I still can't decide.
    Since moose hunting takes place where water can be a major factor, I'd go with the waterproof one. Forget about the "trophy scale". Also to possibly consider - how much shooting do you expect to do at 1000 yards? 800 yds? Go with the 800; if after purchase, you feel the trophy scale is something you can put some faith in, you're ahead of the game.