Thread: Prawn trap help?

Default Prawn trap help?

hi guys.....here is what i have.
    ...5 pound weight about 10 feet of line below the trap, then about 20 feet above the trap i have
    another heavier weight ..this will clip on the main line...im reading you dont want the bouy shaking the crap out of the trap?
    .....last week, we just turfed the traps over with no weights- we ate good, but want alittle more "bang for the buck!"
    ..should the lines attached to the trap be floating?..thx for any help-want to get abit.more serious
    about prawning!..hope pot builder chimes in??...thx larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

put the weight in/around the pot, steel is real, i wouldn't use use gillnet leadline even the heavier stuff is only about 4oz per foot. Tie a big loop in the end of your buoyline then you can do a simple girt hitch to attach buoy to buoyline, get rid of all clips they roll off sometimes and just use knots to attach it all together(if you have to). Yes some floating line off the pot would help from hanging down on the bottom. Your set up will work but to me its just to complicated. pm me if you have any questions. I've only had one of those mesh pots and it didn't show me much so i don't know much about them. I think with all that mesh pulled together on the bottom they would have a tendency to flip over when sinking (parachute effect) unless they are weighted well on the bottom.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

thx pot builder!.
    .i made up 2 more without the clips!...yep, thats me-i tend to "over engineer" things!!.lol
    ..im hopeing the lower weight will keep the trap rightside up!!..thx again! larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    thx pot builder!.
    .i made up 2 more without the clips!...yep, thats me-i tend to "over engineer" things!!.lol
    ..im hopeing the lower weight will keep the trap rightside up!!..thx again! larry
    hope it works but i'd still put the weight in the pot.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    hope it works but i'd still put the weight in the pot.

Larry, as Steve says, line the bottom of the pot with some logging chain or something. Your pot needs the weight, not 10' below it. What happens when the current is moving with your set up.......it can move around till it reaches the end of its leash, then back again, and so on.
    Also, forget about the weight above the pot too.
    Bk

Like the other have mentioned, put your weight on or inside of the pot. Shrimp live in rocks/bouldars; the last thing you need is that cannonball getting snagged on the bottom when you go to haul your pot! As long as your pot is heavy enough, just run your floating buoy line up from your pot. Better to use floating line for buoy line to reduce the chance of a hang up. If you do enough shrimping; you will get hung up!

thx all for the lessons!!.....BK, chain placed around the inside perimeter!!.."brilliant!!"..
    ...these mesh pots are pretty flimsy so i didnt want to put my lead weights in them, thats why the lower weight idea!
    ...that chain idea makes great sense!!....will now lose the bottom/top weights!....thanks again guys! larry

Larry, when you put the chain inside, use stainless steel hose clamps to attach it around one half of the pot. No need to wrap the entire bottom edge with chain. Zip ties will break pretty fast. Hose clamps work great.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

I've got a 16oz sinker mold so I tie three weights to the bottom of my ladner pot, seems to work fine to get them down and hold them though I'm sure adding a few more pounds per pot wouldn't hurt. Just keep it simple so you don't have hangups on bottom or have to fiddle too much when pulling them.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Larry, when you put the chain inside, use stainless steel hose clamps to attach it around one half of the pot. No need to wrap the entire bottom edge with chain. Zip ties will break pretty fast. Hose clamps work great.
    I use gangion to tie my chain in place. Stainless hose clamps are way to valuable a resource on the boat. Plus I bet I would cut myself on them because thats what happens to me and hose clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Anythingalaska View Post
    Like the other have mentioned, put your weight on or inside of the pot. Shrimp live in rocks/bouldars; the last thing you need is that cannonball getting snagged on the bottom when you go to haul your pot! As long as your pot is heavy enough, just run your floating buoy line up from your pot. Better to use floating line for buoy line to reduce the chance of a hang up. If you do enough shrimping; you will get hung up!
    Floating buoy line between pots, sinking line from the pots to the buoys

Nasty evil floating line on the surface is bad for props....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1