Thread: Simple DIY Euro Mount

Default Simple DIY Euro Mount

I just finished this up for my dad's B-day, was his first Alaskan animal taken. I peeled the velvet, stained the antlers, and made the wood stand. Hope he likes it!

What stain and how did you apply it, ie....rag, brush, steel wool spots, and so forth. Details if you will.
    Nice work too!
    Bk

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    What stain and how did you apply it, ie....rag, brush, steel wool spots, and so forth. Details if you will.
    Nice work too!
    Bk
    Should have left more details.. When I get home tonight I will post the step-by-step process and a few more pics.

Looks good! I bet he will be elated! Those are the kinds of gifts that really mean something.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

In case others want to give this project a shot:

Skull cleaning- I simply simmered skull for 2 to 3 hours and would pick/scrape meat off every 30 minutes or so until satisfied (No Bleach! I found that out the hard way on a previous project ). Towards the end I tossed in some Borate to help speed up the degreasing process.

Antler staining- After a bit of research, I settled on using potassium permanganate as the source for a staining agent. The stuff looks purple mixed up and I have to admit, I was second guessing brushing the stuff on lol! But once it begins to dry it starts to turn a nice light brown color on the first coat (I used one of those small foam brushes for applying). If you desire a darker look just keep on applying more coats until you get the color you want. I believe I used a 1/2 tsp for around 1/2 cup water.

Skull Whitening- For skull whitening I used the 40 Vol hair stuff you can buy at the local salon. I have heard there is another activation powder you can buy along with the 40 Vol for even better results, not sure on the name. Anyhow, I brushed the above product on and wrapped the skull with saran wrap to keep it from drying out. After a few hours I brushed off the excess whitening agent with a boot brush and repeated the process. I may do one more coat and stick it out in the sun for an even whiter finished product. Some of the more experienced guys/gals may have a better process they can share.

Wooden Stand- The stand was fairly simple to make and I managed to do it with nothing more than a jig saw, orbital sander and screw gun. Heres a pic showing how I came up with a homemade stencil-

I also found out (of course the hard-way) that the easiest way to get a good stencil is to get one side how you want and then cut out only half of your form. Then take your cut out piece and flip it over to trace out a perfectly symmetrical stencil-

The rest is downhill, a circular base is what I chose for the bottom and a 1x2 for the angled piece (I think I picked 35 degrees for the angle I wanted). To mark the angle on the 1x2 I simply used a generic squaring tool that can be bought at Lowes for like $10. My stain of choice was Early American and I used a cheap paint brush to apply the stain. Be sure to be careful when screwing your skull to the freshly stained board, for it will scratch easy! When I do this project again I might put electrical tape on the contact points to prevent any teeth and other unwanted marks. Then remove once you have your pilot holes drilled.

Mark

Heres a better pic of the stand if your interested in using the Early American for your stain.

And another picture of the antlers after applying the potassium permanganate. They were white prior to this, should have done a before and after..

Well heck, plenty of experience with the potassium, was hoping you found stain that worked.
    Bk

Well heck, plenty of experience with the potassium, was hoping you found stain that worked.
    Bk
    What makes you want to use stain instead of the potassium?

Last potassium I got from jesse, don't want to bother him again for some vs. stain I can buy any store.
    Do you have a local source to purchase potassium?
    Bk

Last potassium I got from jesse, don't want to bother him again for some vs. stain I can buy any store.
    Do you have a local source to purchase potassium?
    Bk
    Either Alaska Pure Water Products or Alaska Water Technolgies was where I got mine (both are located on International Airport rd). can't remember which..

Thankyou Shimano!
    Will swing by next time in town.
    Bk

Thankyou Shimano!
    Will swing by next time in town.
    Bk
    Glad to help!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You can get KMNO4 anywhere they sell water conditioning stuff...including Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, etc, etc, etc.