Thread: Kenai VIZ ?

Question Kenai VIZ ?

Anybody been on the middle river today?

I see the USGS flow gage immediately below the Killey was on the rise all day today.

Are we in the middle of another Killey dump? How's the VIZ in the Kenai holding up today?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kenai Vis

I was out yesterday and today in the middle. The water was phenomenal yesterday with 30+" vis and 53+ degrees (still tough fishing however). Today (Thursday) the vis was down to 15" (estimate) and 49 degrees (fishing even tougher). I heard a report that the mud is coming from the Moose....

I don't know about the mud coming from Moose, I have been fishing not far below the Moose today and the river is muddy all the way across, which means it is coming from up above. There are a ton of trees and sticks and junk coming down the river. Vis is off, not horrible yet but fishing is horrible. Not much action in the middle and from what I hear down low it is just as bad. Lots of rods hanging out the sides of boats.

Unhappy "better late than never"... says who?

Doesn't sound good.... looks like the latest "mid" June dump the system has seen in at least a decade. And just before I get there, too!

River has been on the rise immediately below the Killey all day again today. If it quits now, I'm figuring at least late Sunday before the mud works its way out of the lower river.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

The water is bad but I have seen it much worse. There just aren't a lot of fish in the river. If it there were a lot of fish they would be caught. Hopefully the water doesn't get too muddy.

Default Killey Levels

You are correct in that the water levels are increasing. There is much debris floating down the river; i.e. logs, firewood, etc. However, if you look at the Killey charts, we are still below the 10 year median and mean flows.

The charts for the bridge, however are showing flows above the median and mean flows for 42 years.

Nevertheless, the water is a bit muddy and the bite is off, all that along with low sonar counts equals a few tough days on the Kenai. There were some fish caught today, but it was tough work to find them. There were many very experienced and wise Kenai fishers flying all rods...

I am expecting things to pick up soon however. Though we are a bit on the low side of the averages, historically, the numbers gradually pick up during the last week of June as we move toward the arbitrary late run start date of July 1.

Way to stay positive, hopefully we see that push of fish soon, maybe even just as the water clears up, could be a mix for some good fishing! Although the next two days are going to be a little on the tough side.......but you can't catch them if your baits not in the water!!!

I figured we were in big trouble when I logged in at 10 PM last night to see this:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv..._date=20070615

Flow there last night was over 1000 CFS higher than in town. Whenever the flow just below the Killey exceeds the flow in Soldotna, we got a serious bolus of water coming down the system. You gotta keep in mind that the flow in town is usually higher due to the contribution of the Moose and Funny Rivers.

Guess I'll be spending the first few days of the trip at the Russian.
    The KeenEye MD

Thumbs down

The gage just below the Killey shows the river on a steady rise for the third day in a row... OUCH!

Please... let it stop!
    The KeenEye MD

the river hasn't really gotten worse, just stayed a little muddy for the last few days.... I fished today from 6am - 10am with 3 clients. We landed and released a 12 pounder at about 630 and didn't see a single other fish hooked all day. never thought i'd be so proud of a 12 pounder.
    i think the poor fishing is a result of a combination of poor water quality along with low fish counts.... not a good combination!
    good news is that it doesn't usually take the kenai long to clear up as long as the killey stops dumping mud, so i'm hoping it'll imprve significantly by tuesday. we'll see.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.