Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Situk

Default The Situk

Anyone back from the Situk yet? Any fishing reports? Thanks

We just got back on Sunday. Lots of people, it was our first time there and we talked to guides and the local fly shop for intel. No steel for us, but managed some dollies. My luck, we were probably the only folks who didn't land a steelhead! All the folks who took a drift boat had great success.
    In 2011, the United States military finally starts to enforce the no sodomy rule...

Thanks Ken. Sorry to hear you didn't hookup. Maybe next trip.

Headed there next week. Reports sound good. Second time for me there but will be like fishing it for the first time as I went in 2012 when the river swelled well over 1700 CFS. Brutal conditions but did manage some fish.

If the conditions are even close to right and you have the correct gear, it can be as close to catching fish in a barrel as you will ever find. There are lots of fish in the river right now so you've already won half the battle.

Headed down sat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck. Will be there a week from Saturday. We will see what the weather brings

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    Headed there next week. Reports sound good. Second time for me there but will be like fishing it for the first time as I went in 2012 when the river swelled well over 1700 CFS. Brutal conditions but did manage some fish.
    I hate you
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I'll be there 7th-12th, a week later than last year... Make sure to leave a couple
    for me that don't have sore lips!! Been readin the blog from Bob at situk fly shop and it sounds like waters come down quite a bit and weather has been good... Anyone been out there this last week and have info on how the river looks this year? New holes? Changed bars? Etc etc... Also, gonna have my dad with me this time around and was thinkin of either renting a drift boat for a couple days or going with a guide.. Suggestions?

The Situk is so over-rated!

Quote Originally Posted by lineburns View Post
    The Situk is so over-rated!
    I agree! don't go! go someplace else let me have the river to myself

I love the situk, yeah sure you run into other fishermen, but everyone seems to be on the same page and we all give each other space. Really wish I could have made it down there this year!

AKduck - you are right about the people. Everyone is usually upbeat and friendly. Some other areas / rivers are just a bummer anymore and not worth putin up with the hassle. Hope it stays friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I also hate you! Slightly more then how much Dennis hates you!

Anyone care to share their thoughts about jetboats on the Situk? It seems use is increasing on this river.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    Anyone care to share their thoughts about jetboats on the Situk? It seems use is increasing on this river.
    Is that a picture of you fishing on a steelhead spwning bed?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

The Jet boats cut the log jams out of the river so the drift boats can get through. atleast thats what I'm told. I've never had any problem with them but I mostly fish above the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Is that a picture of you fishing on a steelhead spwning bed?
    Uh huh. Weren't you fishing right next to the guy who took the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by AKducks View Post
    The Jet boats cut the log jams out of the river so the drift boats can get through. atleast thats what I'm told. I've never had any problem with them but I mostly fish above the bridge.
    Are you saying jetboats cut the logs out of the river specifically for the purpose of allowing driftboats to float through, or do you think they cut logs out of the river so they themselves can power through?

Are you saying jetboats cut the logs out of the river specifically for the purpose of allowing driftboats to float through, or do you think they cut logs out of the river so they themselves can power through?
    Both, talk to Bob at the fly shop thats what he says. his statement is along the lines of "hey you don't have to like them but they are the reason we can float the river"

agian I hike up from the bridge so the boats don't bother me at all.

I am not there this year but I had a first hand report over the weekend ... Current conditions on the Situk are terrific. Not many anglers, and fish for everyone in the group.

Guides are grandfather'd for using jet boats on the situk. There are no further permits being issued that I know about for guided jet boat operations. private/personal use jet boats is another story I believe (but I dont know of many folks flying in with a jet boat strapped on their back.) Logs jams are also cleared out by early drifters (with chain saws) floating downstream from 9mile.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast