Thread: Licenses and Permits and Harvest tickets ??'s

Default Licenses and Permits and Harvest tickets ??'s

I bought my licenses and metal locking tag for an upcoming Fall hunt. I received them in the mail, and then it said that most big game hunts require a harvest ticket or permit as well. I thought I had received all I needed, but now I am not so sure. Can someone please lead me a little and let me know what else I am needing. I don't want any surprises. I bought a Caribou and Black bear locking tag. I appreciate any help.

Most of the information you will need will be on page 10 of the big game hunting regs. More can be found on page 13: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

Essentially, as a non-resident, you need to have the license and locking tag that you said you have. You also need a free harvest ticket for the species you want to take or a drawing permit. Which one will depend on the specific hunt you are going for. I'm guessing since you already have a planned hunt, you likely already know the specifics for that area. Is it a hunt that is open to a harvest ticket or is it for a drawing hunt? To find out, if you haven't already, look through the big game regs on the ADF&G site and look up the unit you are planning to hunt and find the details on the specific animals you are intending to hunt for. It will tell you what type of hunt is available for that animal.

Another need for a harvest ticket is if you may use the locking tag for a different animal than what you bought it for. They are good for equal or lesser valued animals. To use a caribou tag on a different animal, you would need to also have a harvest ticket for that other animal in advance of the hunt.

If you are still a little confused after reading the pages at the link above, I would suggest calling ADF&G directly to make sure you are getting the correct information directly from them.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Most of the information you will need will be on page 10 of the big game hunting regs. More can be found on page 13: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

Essentially, as a non-resident, you need to have the license and locking tag that you said you have. You also need a free harvest ticket for the species you want to take or a drawing permit. Which one will depend on the specific hunt you are going for. I'm guessing since you already have a planned hunt, you likely already know the specifics for that area. Is it a hunt that is open to a harvest ticket or is it for a drawing hunt? To find out, if you haven't already, look through the big game regs on the ADF&G site and look up the unit you are planning to hunt and find the details on the specific animals you are intending to hunt for. It will tell you what type of hunt is available for that animal.

Another need for a harvest ticket is if you may use the locking tag for a different animal than what you bought it for. They are good for equal or lesser valued animals. To use a caribou tag on a different animal, you would need to also have a harvest ticket for that other animal in advance of the hunt.

If you are still a little confused after reading the pages at the link above, I would suggest calling ADF&G directly to make sure you are getting the correct information directly from them.
    Thanks so much. That helped tremendously. I appreciate your time.

Can someone explain why they just don't send the harvest ticket along with everything else? If they require you to have it, just send the dang thing with your seal.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    Can someone explain why they just don't send the harvest ticket along with everything else? If they require you to have it, just send the dang thing with your seal.

I completely agree.....

Because the Department doesn't know if you need a general season tag, a registration tag, or if you drew a tag.

All those options are online as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FullCryHounds View Post
    What ak_cowboy said above. The locking tag is needed for non-resident hunters in pretty much all types of hunts. When you get a locking tag, they don't know if you are hunting for a drawing permit, harvest ticket, etc... Also, with the locking tag, you have the option to "tag" other equal or lesser value game with it, so just because you have a locking tag for one species doesn't mean you might not use it for something else. You would just need to make sure to have the correct harvest ticket/tag/permit for that species.