Thread: Pike Fishing near Anchorage

Default Pike Fishing near Anchorage

I want to try my hand at fishing for pike for the first time this summer (preferably May-June because of spawn timing). Any recommendations on where to go? Going past Wasilla would be pushing it.

Fire lake and Sand lake both have pike that I know of.

Lower fire lake for sure but Alaska fish an game spent a lot t of money to take them out of Sand Lake I hope they did it was not wasted
    SID

Depends on if you want numbers or size.I've spent my time fishing in anchorage and wont anymore. To me it would be well worth the drive to go to better spots then any lake in anchorage but I prefer large fish over 100 10 inchers. I can say there is always pike in memory lake, I've fished it straight for a week and seen some extremely nice pike fallow but no takers. This winter you could catch small pike left and rite with the right set up and spot. There is also a pond at the big lake cut off that has a surprising amount of small pike and a rare ok one for the ponds size. Good go to for fun. Other then that I myself have nothing more unless past Wasilla. I have been targeting pike all week and casting size 5 vibrex and bigger and have yet to catch anything other then nice bows and char and a glimps of some nice pike no small ones for some reason. Think I am heading to trolling.

Troutslayer,

Have you had an opportunity to check out the lakes in the Nancy Lake State Recreation Area? I was wondering if they are ice-free now ... was hoping to take the canoe along the trail system from Tanaina with the kids. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tplucinski View Post
    Troutslayer,

Have you had an opportunity to check out the lakes in the Nancy Lake State Recreation Area? I was wondering if they are ice-free now ... was hoping to take the canoe along the trail system from Tanaina with the kids. Any ideas?
    Tanaina would be a good start. Plenty of small pike in that lake.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    Lower fire lake for sure but Alaska fish an game spent a lot t of money to take them out of Sand Lake I hope they did it was not wasted
    SID
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=1#post1352980

It was wasted. I personally caught the one linked above from Sand and know of several others that have been caught this time of year in the slough areas.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Depends on if you want numbers or size.I've spent my time fishing in anchorage and wont anymore. To me it would be well worth the drive to go to better spots then any lake in anchorage but I prefer large fish over 100 10 inchers. I can say there is always pike in memory lake, I've fished it straight for a week and seen some extremely nice pike fallow but no takers. This winter you could catch small pike left and rite with the right set up and spot. There is also a pond at the big lake cut off that has a surprising amount of small pike and a rare ok one for the ponds size. Good go to for fun. Other then that I myself have nothing more unless past Wasilla. I have been targeting pike all week and casting size 5 vibrex and bigger and have yet to catch anything other then nice bows and char and a glimps of some nice pike no small ones for some reason. Think I am heading to trolling.
    Have you tried herring under a bobber? Usually early spring after ice out it can be a very effective method. Cast out and retrieve very slowly.
    I am no longer surprised at what I am no longer surprised at ---Bill Whittle