Thread: Bear Hunting between Eielson and the Salcha River

Default Bear Hunting between Eielson and the Salcha River

I am looking into the area between Eielson Base and the Salcha River for bear hunting. I have reasons that keep me from going far from home so this is one of the areas that I was looking into. Does anyone have any pointers or areas that are overly crowded to stay away from. I have taken my Baiting, bow and hunter ed classes so I can do just about any kind of hunt. Thanks for any help guys really have learned a lot from reading all your post.

Close to town, there's gonna be a few hunters around. Just go for it and hope for the best

Im going to go talk to the DNR guy on wainwright and see how packed the training area is might try to get back in there towards the back edge and set up a place. What are the chance of running into a grizzly back in that area. The wife keeps harassing me to get her some black bear to eat cause she loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by tightlywound1 View Post
    What are the chance of running into a grizzly back in that area.
    Chances are pretty fair. There's brown bears and wolves making the rounds pretty regularly throughout the rural areas of town we consider "the burbs" (Becker/Chena Ridge, Farmers Loop/Goldstream, Chena Hot Springs Road/Nordale, N-Pole etc.). Very few people ever see them, but they're around, even without the added draw of bait stations. Relatively speaking, that Eielson/Salcha area is a lot more remote. But good luck finding a spot out there that isn't on top of somebody else, or in somebody's back yard.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Go down to Johnson Rd then go back in that way to the military land. Find any road or trail that goes to the left or right and start looking. There is lots of places down that way but as far as away from other hunters good luck with that. I used to bait back in there and all I could get was Griz. I even got treed by a sow and her cubs one year. She doesn't know just how close I was after two hours to pulling that trigger on her at 15'.

Shot you a PM. Let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Chances are pretty fair. There's brown bears and wolves making the rounds pretty regularly throughout the rural areas of town we consider "the burbs" (Becker/Chena Ridge, Farmers Loop/Goldstream, Chena Hot Springs Road/Nordale, N-Pole etc.). Very few people ever see them, but they're around, even without the added draw of bait stations. Relatively speaking, that Eielson/Salcha area is a lot more remote. But good luck finding a spot out there that isn't on top of somebody else, or in somebody's back yard.
    Alright..........I'll just set up a bait in my back yard half a mile above the mushers hall!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Alright..........I'll just set up a bait in my back yard half a mile above the mushers hall!!
    I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Johan thanks for the pm I will look into it.